Pier and Surf Forum banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 2500 - 3000 series spinning reels ( 100-120 yards of 10lbs test ). Its going on a speck / schoolie striper lite tackle rod.

I am looking at 3 options and possibly more. I am preferential to Daiwa....but had issues with the last 3 reels..locking up, corroding, drags going to h3ll..I am quite abusive when I am wading....the reel needs to hold up to MANY dunkings.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Man i'd probably look at the spheros if you want something tough and to hold up to dunkings. I love my Stradic 1000 & 3000 FI's, but i baby them with routine maitenance to keep them like new. Not sure how they'd handle dunkings. I know some people who are pretty hard on their tackle though, and the spheros seem to hold up about as well as anything for the price.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I know you have Shimanos listed but I picked up a Daiwa Sol and absolutley love the reel. Its caught reds, specs, flounder, stripers, and walleye. I really like this reel. Take a look at them

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
...the reel needs to hold up to MANY dunkings.
Short of a Van Staal or Zee Baas, there aren't many other reels out there that will stand up to repeated dunkings (except maybe with a complete teardown and rebuild after every trip). The reels you're looking at have too many itty bitty bearings that get killed by the saltwater.

Another idea is to go low-tech: something with few bearings and easy to service...like a Daiwa or BG15. Pack the body with marine grease, tightly pack the 3 ball bearings with marine grease, swap out the drag washers with greased Carbontex, and throw CorrosionX on all of the exposed metal parts. It should last a long time with yearly service And for under $70, it's a bargain! :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
al,

the shimanos are great reels, thats all i use for spinners (minus my sight casting setup Diawa BG)

However, the shimanos imho don't hold up nearly as well as the diawas do after dunkings and no cleanings. As far as in the yak, i've head shimanos lock up(honeslty its bc i don't clean them for 4 or 5 trips where they are constantly wet). THe diawas never locked up. BUt they don't feel as smooth and are jerky and feel unbalanced. ALso the shimano's have reduced my windknots considerably. ATLKG brings up a good option too. THen again I have cleaned and used my stradics for an awful long time... I've sold my diawas. THe drag issue just clean and relube it and it'll take care of that.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
it looks like you are going towards shimano. these are fairly pricey but hey... who cares right!! hahaa!! i think its either the Stella or the Sustain that are has sealed bearings in them.

good luck on this!!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
al,

THe diawas never locked up. BUt they don't feel as smooth and are jerky and feel unbalanced. ALso the shimano's have reduced my windknots considerably. ATLKG brings up a good option too. THen again I have cleaned and used my stradics for an awful long time... I've sold my diawas. THe drag issue just clean and relube it and it'll take care of that.....

Well..my favorite Diawa reel was the old Capricorn...loved it till the anti reverse went kaput...the new orange Cap's are POS's...I think I just killed one...feels like one of the bearings are kaput. Not smooth at all!

Don't get me wrong...I have 3 Daiwa Laguna's that I swear by...but they are on the 9 footers and usually are dead sticked. Occasionally they'll see some metal casting.

I should take better care of my tackle....but still lookin' to change the line up with a Shimano reel....

BTW..X'mas and my B-day is right around the corner.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
...the new orange Cap's are POS's...I think I just killed one...feels like one of the bearings are kaput. Not smooth at all!
I hear that. The capricorn XTC is a dick's exclusive and is nothing close to the original (discontinued) capricorns. I had one for about a week last fall before the line roller bearing started to crap out on me, and i was taking damn good care of that reel. Took it back and swapped out for a spheros for less money since the FA's were on clearance.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
CT is right about the VS and ZB taking the dunking. They're designed for that, the others aren't. I would also stay away from the Stradic MgFB's in saltwater. The frames on those and saltwater do not play nice together. If you get a Stradic, get an FI. Mine have held up really well, with the exception of the roller bearings, but those were replaced by Shimano free of charge.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My Spheros collection has stood up well. Have waded with them (complete dunking), kayaked with them (lot of splash on them), flats fished (tucked in the gunny, covered in spray) with them and they are fine. Rarely need to break them down, standard wash down does fine. 4000 is my go to slot red reel and it has handled everything thrown at it

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love the new Stradic FIs they have drainage holes on the bottom so all the water will come out through there so all i do if i dunk mine is rinse in fresh water then oil up through the oil port located where the handle goes

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well..my favorite Diawa reel was the old Capricorn...loved it till the anti reverse went kaput...the new orange Cap's are POS's...I think I just killed one...feels like one of the bearings are kaput. Not smooth at all!

Don't get me wrong...I have 3 Daiwa Laguna's that I swear by...but they are on the 9 footers and usually are dead sticked. Occasionally they'll see some metal casting.

I should take better care of my tackle....but still lookin' to change the line up with a Shimano reel....

BTW..X'mas and my B-day is right around the corner.
It sucks they discontinued the Laguna's. I have two 2500's and they get a workout. One got dunked while trout fishing up in corova and I thought it was locked up. Sprayed it with fresh water and it works like a champ now.

As to the shimano question, I can't help ya there. I can't afford any new gear...:redface:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes Jebson is right, that new diawa reel sure does look nice! It has a perfect line capacity for what you need and its got a nice count of bb! You should also concider that one!

·
Registered
541 Posts
It looks like that new diawa is already out. They have the 2500 for $115 at
baitnhook.net. It does look nice..

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advise. I pulled the trigger and picked up a Saros 3000F.

I will provide a product review once I fish it. This will be my 1st Shimano trout reel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts