Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about your thoughts of 700 calcuttas with bearing and drag upgrades and why there's no mention of them on here

·
Registered
929 Posts
Imo what they cost plus upgrades. You could have bought a better reel for your application,but they were before my time so I'm sure thus isn't the only answer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just wondering what you were going to fish for with that? I love the calcuttas but I don't know if I would ever use the 700. Just curious. In my opinion if I needed something that much bigger I would probably move to the torium.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Just wondering what you were going to fish for with that? I love the calcuttas but I don't know if I would ever use the 700. Just curious. In my opinion if I needed something that much bigger I would probably move to the torium.
A Calcutta 700 has the same line capacity as a Daiwa 30SHA . . . 300 yd / 20lb mono. The 700 is the levelwind version and the 700S is the non-levelwind ( 1st generation Calcutta's ).

·
Registered
293 Posts
I understand that it is a big levelwind round reel with large capacity but in the end you have the same small drag and just a bigger heavier frame. So I go back to, what are you using it for and what are you trying to catch? I have never come up with a reason for the Calcutta 700.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Had a buddy of mine that owned one, he wanted me to clean it up for him and said I could use it while he was out of town, took it out to seagull pier as a backup heaver landed a 50 pound cobia on it, from what I remember (years ago) casted pretty good loud clicker drag was decent good line capacity etc, kinda big and bulky though better reels out there in my opinion..

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Big, bulky and they hate sand.
Don,believe it or not,Pat is still using his well over 20yrs and that is an understatement.. It would last me a fart'n spell.. He's got black and red 9000's that look like they came out of the box.. Don't ask how,cause he uses his stuff,somehow it remains bullet proof... :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Don,believe it or not,Pat is still using his well over 20yrs and that is an understatement.. It would last me a fart'n spell.. He's got black and red 9000's that look like they came out of the box.. Don't ask how,cause he uses his stuff,somehow it remains bullet proof... :D
I must treat my gear like you DD. I had a Calcutta 400S (non-levelwind model) for a year or so. It was great for big catfish on the river, but I had to let it go after one beach trip because it hated the sand so much. Slosh 20 ain't as pretty, but works just as well for a bit less dough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a lot of shimano, 700b,700s,400b,Stradic I have had real good success over the years with them, just got back from myrtle in sep hit a seven foot 130 pound or so spinner turned him under the pier brought him back out from under it and turned him heading out to open water fought him to point could have gaffes and cut him lose. That was with 700b 100lb braid and 10 ft Solaris from okuma. The drag washers and bearings upgraded for not much money and maybe twenty min time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oden, you asked what I use them for, I own a pay lake here in wv and grew up fishing my life has been spent fishing, I target big shovels and blues from 40 to 70 lb and I love to crappie fish, that is why the Stradic but when I go to the coast I love to shark, for me it's all about the fight. The other factor for me is parts availability if I need to repair, so far haven't needed to knock on wood but u never know

·
Registered
567 Posts
What dawg said it true with the sand.

DD...I thought Pat still uses his on his heaver.

And I am quite sure that the 700 series cal was more popular on the West coast.

I got the 700s. Cast very well only downside for me it is a large framed reel for the amount of line capacity.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oden, you asked what I use them for, I own a pay lake here in wv and grew up fishing my life has been spent fishing, I target big shovels and blues from 40 to 70 lb and I love to crappie fish, that is why the Stradic but when I go to the coast I love to shark, for me it's all about the fight. The other factor for me is parts availability if I need to repair, so far haven't needed to knock on wood but u never know
Thanks for that Wypaylaker. I was just curious what you were using them to catch. You just like the levelwind? Haven't ever considered using like a Torium or something along those lines? More drag and better fighter in my opinion. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
What dawg said it true with the sand.

DD...I thought Pat still uses his on his heaver.

And I am quite sure that the 700 series cal was more popular on the West coast.

I got the 700s. Cast very well only downside for me it is a large framed reel for the amount of line capacity.
Yes he does,both pier and surf...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that Wypaylaker. I was just curious what you were using them to catch. You just like the levelwind? Haven't ever considered using like a Torium or something along those lines? More drag and better fighter in my opinion. Just curious.
I like the 700s without the level wind a little more actually, I started using the 700 when I was stationed at Camp Lejune in late 80s. Here at home most everyone uses Abu Garcia hell I've got twenty or more of them so I haven't been exposed to a lot of the reels used on the coast nowadays, I've always liked to see something in use or try it myself before I commit to buying something, have you used the torium and if so did they perform well with big fish

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like the 700s without the level wind a little more actually, I started using the 700 when I was stationed at Camp Lejune in late 80s. Here at home most everyone uses Abu Garcia hell I've got twenty or more of them so I haven't been exposed to a lot of the reels used on the coast nowadays, I've always liked to see something in use or try it myself before I commit to buying something, have you used the torium and if so did they perform well with big fish
I have actually used them on everything from catfish to redfish to yellowfin tuna. Great reel in my opinion for the money. Has a decent amount of drag. About double what come with the Calcutta. And I like the power handle better. Just my opinion but for the bigger stuff I love them. I use the small Calcuttas for small catfish and small redfish. Anything bigger though I use something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts