Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pricing both the Okuma 12' Solaris Rod and the Tica 12' rod. Okuma $70, Tica $109. The Shimano Baitrunner 6500B $119, Okuma New EB-80 $81. Does anyone have any insight on which of these would be the best combination. Money is not the issue I want quality. :confused: ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
The okuma spinners look good. Iv'e heard they are dependble for the price. I am not big on their low end conventionals. I don't think you can go wrong spending the extra money on reels. Shimanos are extremely dependable. Personally I am a Penn/Abu user.
I have a Tica 12' that I love as a heaver. The quality of the graphite is excellent. Comparable heavers cost $200+. If you want to throw plugs you will want something more flexible than the fast action Tica. I use a diawa or penn surf rod for plugs.
That my .02. I hope it helps some.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I said money is not and issue but I am not stupid either. But I do appreicate the comment. :cool: ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shimano all the way for my vote. I have had a couple of Okumas and they tend to be ok but i have had soome minor trouble with the drag system on them, just caint seem to get what i like out of it.I have had a few nice fish get away because i couldn't get the drag right. I have been using the same shimano reel for about 6 years now, and never once have lost or missed a fish due to equipment malfunction. I just lost them cause i was stupid. :mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an Okuma Coronado baitfeeder (I think CD-90), I would highly recommend. Seems to be very sturdy & has been great so far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the tica or the tsunami trophy or both excellent rods, right up there with rods 100 bucs more or so. i have both and my preference, with a gun to my head is the trophy. (try oceans east) either are leaps and bounds above the okuma rod. sorry personal insight on the reels, but a guy i fish with has an okuma baitrunner and loves the money he saved.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought the Okuma Solaris 12' and put a dawia jupiter z 5000 on it.As soon as a can I will upgrade to the Epixor Baitrunner. As for the rod its nice and casts great I think 6oz is the sweet spot for distance.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I use a Tica '10'6 with a Shimano Baitrunner 4500... couldn't be more happy with the setup. Think Tica probably has the best rod for the $$$ out there. Have 4 Shimano Baitrunners, so that ought to tell you what I think of them :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Shimano baitrunners are awesome. Will last for years and very dependable. Okuma baitrunners are on their way up though. Buddy of mine has one and it looks very cool and so far very sturdy and no probs yet. But personally I would go with the shimano. JMHO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 2 Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me there input. So here are the results, My wife went out and got me the New Okuma EB80, with the New Okuma 12' Solaris Rod. I am going out this weekend and do some Mr Brown Hunting. I will post the results first part of next week.:cool: :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Congrats!! Like I said those are good up and coming reels. Hope it works out for ya!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts