Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on Avon in pier tourney.. There were 7 or 8 drum caught.. One was chased by a sandbar shark,and netted in time.. Another had bite marks near gills and tail.. There were fatback everywhere in the morning. Had huge humpback whale spraying them everywhere coming completely out of the water! We also saw something that we "on occasion see",but this one was WELL over 300 plus!! Sturgeon came out of the water about 4-6 ft in the air,now that was a sight! We saw several others as well.. Ocean was full of life,granted mostly sharks,but full of life nonetheless.. haha

·
Registered
813 Posts
Kenny , the menhaden were thick off of topsail all week. They were going north. They were big ones 11 to 12 inches.Saw some pic's of you and the grey headed fella with some nice drum that Mickie posted

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kenny , the menhaden were thick off of topsail all week. They were going north. They were big ones 11 to 12 inches.Saw some pic's of you and the grey headed fella with some nice drum that Mickie posted
Both of us "originally" had red hair... BUT,I'd say I have a bit more grey than Russell.... :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
"originally"
That would be back in the early 1940s right ? :D

Speaking of sharks, round about when do the dogfish start chewin' ? Tryin' to figger out if'n I want to beat'em there or arrive after they've eaten all the bait on the island :D

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be back in the early 1940s right ? :D

Speaking of sharks, round about when do the dogfish start chewin' ? Tryin' to figger out if'n I want to beat'em there or arrive after they've eaten all the bait on the island :D
As old as I may be will never catch up to ya.. ;) Far as bait on the island,every hook,sinker,swivel and what little bait there is is being eaten by big sharks.. Plenty of respooling being done as well... :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
HaHa....you are correct but the age race always distracts ya and throws ya off subject :D When do the dogfish usually show up ?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HaHa....you are correct but the age race always distracts ya and throws ya off subject :D When do the dogfish usually show up ?
Hopefully never.. Really did not want to tempt fate and have them rascals on top of all the mean arse sharks.. I would say once water temps get into the 50's we'll see horndogs,we have already caught a couple of smoothies,but that is normal.. I HATE HORNDOGS!! I'd rather rerig every 5min cause of big sharks than bail horndogs..:mad:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Amen to that. Last trip down I got 10 lbs of bunker between Nick and Ryan, headed down by your place to 55 and picked out a spot that musta had 10 acres of'em. There were supposed to be stripers and pups there but we used all 10 lbs of that bunker bailin' those rascals. Only time in my life I actually got tired of catchin'. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts