Pier and Surf Forum banner

Sharks invade Assateague Island!

11K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  ItsaJeepthing 
#1 ·
Lots of reports of sharks being caught at AI on cut bait.

Sandcrab

#3 ·
Flea...

Just checked my line on my conventional reel that I used the last time I fished AI and it is so abraided that it will have to be replaced.

Probably going to hit the beach in August and try my luck. They're catching some huge hardheads mixed in with the sharks.

Shark on the grill...Yum Yum!

Sandcrab

#5 ·
Sounds like you like shark on the grill as much as I do!

August time frame would be good for me. I can fish a Saturday AM. We need to fish two hours before/two hours after the high tide.

Sandcrab

#7 ·
Can I get in on this AI surf fishing for sharks? Since I don't surf fish, I need to know what kind of rig I will need for this type of fishing. That is if y'all let me tag along. Now I do have a 4x4 so getting out on the beach won't be a problem. It's the rod/reel/rigging that I need.

TIA
- Dae

#9 ·
I have a hell of a time identifying the different species. Some--like blacktips or sand tigers--are pretty easy because of distinctive coloration or teeth that'll give you nightmares. But the others just leave me looking at them, saying, "I dunno. It has teeth and looks hungry."

#10 ·
You are right about trying to identify ALL the sharks that you cannot keep! Guess I'll have to breakdown and buy a "Shark book for Dummies" so I don't keep any illegal ones.

The only shark I could identify now is the leopard shark (should be pretty easy Huh?). We used to catch them at night off the Ocean Beach pier in San Diego.

Sandcrab

#13 ·
OK Sandcrab and Sandflea, you've wetted enough appetites for sharkin' at AI. I'm good for any Saturday in August, how about the rest of you guys.

Dae...I have extra surf rods and plenty of tackle that you're more than welcome to use. I'm sure that between Sandcrab, Sandflea, myself and the rest of the guys we can outfit you.

Slipsinker. :)

#15 ·
Yo Dae!

Thanks again for the tips on crabbing the Elk from tidalfish!
That was you right? Hehe!

Cutbait-
an ORV permit is about $60 a year. They do not sell passes for shorter periods of time. Do not get caught without one! I have seen several people get popped. You are also required to have certain safety equipment to use the ORV area. There is a list of requirements on the parks website. You also have to have your title and other information with you to purchase the pass. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I think I may be heading down that way soon, maybe I'll join the party.

What happened guys? This board was hot in the Spring when things were just starting to happen. Now there are plenty of fish to be had nobody is posting! Everyone is either too busy fishing, or trying to keep the hot bite a secret!

#16 ·
Catman,

Thanks for the offer but I like to use my own equipment because I don't want to take the chance of breaking or losing something. I'd also like to have my own stuff for future trips.

Duke of Fluke,

Yes that was me. You got my number so give me a call. I'm still not sure if I'm going crabbing tomorrow or fishing but we can schedule a future trip.

Also, I've got everything needed to go out on AI, other then surf equipment. I've been doing off and on for years now, just need to get my permit renewed. The only fishing I've done down there is on a boat, but I usually don't catch anything other then blow fish around there or if I run out to the Jackspot, I get blue fish. I'd love to catch some sharks. When I was a little kid, we use to go over to Cape Henlopen and use to catch a bunch of little sand sharks. I'd like to catch a shark in the 3ft+ range.

- Dae

#17 ·
SandCrab,
Wed afternoon i wasnt really fishing for shark...i did all my shark fishing at night. I threw a bluefish rig out there with a circle hook 10/0 i think it was...with a small spot head....
At night i had a big mustad J hook they hit on with 80# mono and steel...on a big bloody perch head....and he still broke it...i had a big one that night, when he pulled the whole rod in the water...im going back down jul 30th- aug 10th..cya oo yea check out the pics on SOL

#18 ·
HEY DUDES GETTING RID OF SOME FISHING TACKLE NEED TO MAKE SPACE.DAIWA BG30 $40, PENN105 $20, LAMIGLAS 10FT. 2PC. 3-8 OZ 17-40LINEWEIGHT MINT COND. $140, VANSTAAL250 GOLD MINT COND. $350, DAIWA ELIMINATOR 7.5 FT. 2PIECE $20 MINT COND, QUANTUM BLUE RUNNER GOLD 460 $30 MINT COND. 12FT. DAIWA SEALINEX GOOD COND. $35. IF INTERESTED WILL MEET. I LIVE IN PASADENA. FISH ON.

#21 ·
V-E-R-Y C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y!

Kidding aside, most anglers that I have spoken to are catch-and-release anglers and use hooks that will rust out very quickly when left in saltwater.

Now keeping and cleaning a shark - that is a different topic. Ask Itsajeepthing - He just landed a nice one at AI.

Sandcrab

#23 ·
Itsajeepthing..What beach markers do you fish? Can I purchase an ORV permit there? Does the permit give you 24/7 access. Even though we're well into the season, there's still a lot of fishing season left. $60.00 isn't that bad of a hit. Thanks.

Catman.

#24 ·
Catman,

You can buy the ORV permit there at what I think is the ranger station. Just make usre you have the required stuff (shovel, Tow strap, etc...) Also if you plan on heading down there more often, get the annual pass just to enter the park. BTW unless something has changed, the ORV pass is good for 12 month. So if you get one now, it's good till this time next year.

- Dae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.