Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I’ve become an avid land based shark fisherman but have always done so further south. Can anyone tell me when I can expect the sharks to show up in the surf in VA? Also, any recommendations on where I should start my search?

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's not legal to target sharks from the surf in a lot of places in Virginia. I'm not sure about other areas, but I know it's illegal in Virginia Beach. People do catch them on accident all the time here. You just can't be obviously targeting sharks, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not legal to target sharks from the surf in a lot of places in Virginia. I'm not sure about other areas, but I know it's illegal in Virginia Beach. People do catch them on accident all the time here. You just can't be obviously targeting sharks, if that makes sense.
Good to know. I found a lot of old info suggesting that but it seems like a lot of people still do it so I wasn’t sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May/ june this was 4th July on a packed beach... kind of fun in a sick way
Awesome! I’m going a little stir crazy here lol I always fished SC bit really want to fish somewhere closer to home. Never been to assateague, is it typically pretty packed?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They close the southern osv for plovers and turtles in may so the main beach gets PACKED!!! the north osv stays open all year. In va. Maryland side has gates that limit number of vehicles. When it's full it's one off one on, so get there early if you want to get on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They close the southern osv for plovers and turtles in may so the main beach gets PACKED!!! the north osv stays open all year. In va. Maryland side has gates that limit number of vehicles. When it's full it's one off one on, so get there early if you want to get on.
Oh that’s good to know. So if I’m planning to drive out on the beach both may be questionable lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
Doesn't everyone use a 15 lb. or so tuna head for cobia off Sandbridge beach ?

CATCHEMUP,
Mike:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts