Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the Shark Pit this am about 7 . Nothing much happening with the live mullet and pinfish which I picked up in the Indian River before going there. One of the fellow anglers who was with me had a blue head from the day before which was a good size head so I rigged it up and chucked it out as far as I could. Nothing for a little while then I went to adjust some slack in the line there it was a hook up with the toothie. Battled him for about a 1/2 hr and got him to about 10 ft of the beach and he came unhooked and off it went.
I did at least see him . Here's what it was. All 6 feet of him.
http://www.centralmassscuba.com/Pictures.html?SelectedAlbum=7&Picture=415
Nurse shark

All I have left are these PICS of the battle and a great memory. O well maybe next time.

Here's were he spits the hook

·
Registered
26 Posts
will be there the 23rd during incoming tide, with my grocery pole and big-un pole. Let's see if I could get a chance with one of them toothy-critters.:eek: haven't fought one of them in a while, sorry to hear you didn't land the one you had. It' good to see what got off though. Smooth casting all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Toothies

Way to go Koz! We need the encouraging news. I still haven't hit the beach yet. I might try the river side in the AM with the young-un. I think I'll save the beach for Sunday.

Was at Seaworld today and saw many toothies. Kinda put me in the mood...........

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flistell
I was using wire leader with 30 # test Berkley Big Game.
I thought it was a ray at first because of the way it reeled in.
I understand they are the best food value shark because of all the crusties they consume. Maybe it will be back when the Pit gets Revisited again.:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pretty heavy tackle. Have been using wire but no recent hits. Last month had 80# mono bitten off, after my rod doubled in half and my sand spike was pulled out of the sand. I didn't get to see what it was.

Fish a few miles south of the pit--about 1/4 mile past the "blinkin' yella lite". Starting to see alot of small bait fish but no pods yet. Alot of boats about 1/4 mile out, slow trolling.

Interesting to see what this cold water will do to the fall migration--maybe it has already happened!!! Maybe all the fishies are already in the Bahamas.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope not , about all the fishies are already in the Bahamas.
I have heard that there are alot of sharks in the Indain River down towards Sabatian and also alot of Pompano their as well.

Need to get the Gallon Milk Jugs rigged up with some 10 or 12 in mullet on them and sit and wait for the toothies to go for it.:D
Was thinking of trying it off the Melbourne Bch Pier. Just need to get it out there to a little deeper H2O. Then will have to throw a rope around his tail to get the toothy up on to the Pier.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Milk Jug

Interesting concept, Kozlow. Never heard of it before. I assume you're talking about floating a jug out west further, as long as the winds are cooperating?

I tried the pier twice today (late). Both times I netted the big mullet you're needing, but the rain and lightning moved in so fast I didn't even get my line wet. What a rip! :mad:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.