Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!

Thought some of our shark hunters might be interested in an eBay offer (Item # 3615865866).

These are some heavy duty commercial hooks that should stand up to any shark hooked in the surf. Only problem is they are stainless, nickel-cadmium, or tinned and most likely will not rust out of deeply hooked fish that are released. But if your fishing for shark steaks....

This is my first time looking through eBay at fishing tackle. They do have some really nice items. Unfortunately, all my $$$ is tied up in debt!

Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
When are we going to meet the famous legend Manayunk Jake at the Tank,we need a professional lesson on live lining,I'v been trying to meet up with you the last two years,where are you,Iguess I'll see you in the Fall. Have a nice day:D :D TRIGGER

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings Triggerfish!

I'll be fishing the 'Tank in the Fall. I doubt that anybody needs lessons in livelining -- you just drop the bait over and let it swim. If I have any edge, its the baitrunner reels I use.

I'm hoping to "host" a P&S Choptank Fish-In this Fall. Probably mid-September, when the blues and weaks are in, and the rock start to fatten up for winter. I'm thinking 4:00 PM Saturday to 4:00 AM Sunday. That way were guaranteed an incoming, change of tide, and outgoing flow. I'll try to time it to eliminate dead low (otherwise known as "toadie time"....) If all goes well, we can do another in October!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Jake let me know when you have the dates for the tank I won't promise but I will try to join you two if all goes as I plan it to,but you know about the best laid plans of mice and men.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Creetings cocoflea!

I always thought that was "the best planned lays of mice and men." Guess I was spending too much time thinking about it and not enough time doing it!

I'll let everyone know the dates, all are welcome! Maybe Eric on the NJ board can host an NJ Fish-In at IBSP and cut your travel time in half! I'd also be interested in a P&S gathering on the Hudson next Spring (during the herring run!)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Jake...Let's do it man. Like Trigger I'd like to meet you also. Come to think of it I'd like to meet Trigger again, he's got a sub for me.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
is it true a 50 lb bass was caught at IBSP this pass weekend ?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
catman- I thought by now that you have forgotten about the sub,I'm going to kill the guy that told me that "OLDER" folks never remember things after two weeks. M-Jake your on,just make it happen and I'll be there and I'll bring some extra subs(the best cold cuts in the state of MD.) or anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greetings cocoflea!

There's no weight given, but the dimensions (46 X 28.5 inches) could easily put this striper over the 40 lb mark, but I don't know if its a true fifty. Check out:
http://www.bruceandpatsbt.com/july2003pictures/

Of course, this may not be the rumoured fish. Most sudsplunkers are tight lipped and shun publicity.

I had mentioned before that IBSP would be a great spot for a P&S Surf Fish-In. Or we could get a team together for the Govenor's Invitational in November....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
MANAYUNK JAKE,

Being from Philly and also an avid fisherman.....We must have frequented some of the same bodies of water.......As a kid I used to fish behind a paint store down the street from Manayunk.....It began with a "B"......lol:D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings Big Rad!

That would be Butens (the building's still there!) Still a good spot if you have the legs to get in there.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Thats the place!

I remember night fishing next to the concrete slab eating mulberries off the bush that was there. We would catch huge carp (catch and release), eels, bass, crappies and perch.

My brother just told me that there is an advisory on eating any fish from Philadelphia's waterways. I used to trout fish in the Wissahickon and Pennypack Creeks. Those were the good old days!:D

I worked at the Navy yard in south Philly where we would catch catties and the ocassional striper from the pier................. They closed the yard and shipped me to Maryland. I'm just learning about the great fishing here though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greetings Big Rad!

The mulberry bush would explain the big carp... One of the top flavors for Eurostyle carp fishermen is "mulberry flourtine."

The pictures at the following link should bring back some memories:
https://www.temple.edu/tylerstudentlife/fishes/inside/index.html

The Schuylkill and tidal Delaware are a lot "cleaner" than they were before the 70's Clean Water Act, but most fish still carry toxic levels of cholane and mercury from too many years of chemical/industrial plants dumping straight into the rivers. PCB is also a problem from the many railroad beds that run along the rivers. Makes for a good catch & release fishery.

The Wissahickon and Pennypack are still stocked with trout, but the fish are inedible within two weeks due to high fecal counts (10,000 times the NJ limit for safe swimming.) The city is in the process of replacing the 100+ year old sewage and stormwater lines.

Fishing in Philadelphia is pretty good if you know what you're doing -- but I think you'll find MD fishing better. Just have to teach those good ole boys how to make a decent cheesesteak!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts