Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone been shark fishing and what good leader to rig for pulling some sharks in? any sharks biting around PLO in bay or close to shore around beaches of AB md or AB va? been uptick in shark sighting it seems... also was a dead whale off AB md that coast guard pull couple miles offshore!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been on AI every weekend and so far nothing over 7'. I only cast (no yak for me) and I make my own rigs, what equipment do you already have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm writing on a article for Shark rigs, I already have the version for monsters, but not for casting or smaller Sharks.And right now only what materials in what sizes and how they are placed and connected starting from the reel, for deach casting an 7x7 or better 7x19 cable wind-on abou 50% stronger than your mainline(cabel, hollow should be at least 100% stronger) spliced almost down to the crimp to protect the guides and an 2-3 feet section of 1x7 or 1x9(way more durable and kink resistant) with each strand at the same strength that you would regulary fish on your setup, sounds owerkill, but it isn't! big sharks can bite even through 1000lb 7x7 cable while they can kink trough doubled NO.19 single strand wire, to give you some numbers: 500-1000lb 1x7 and 1000-2000 1x19, if you don't have Bulls, Tigers, Makos, Whites or anything with simular teeth and size(6 feet+) around, you can go lighter, but one of this species lives everywher where you'll be fishing, another option would be a chain with 100-200lb but you'll probably won't find one that is perfectly made out of AISI 318, so you wouldn't be lighter, probably heavier than with the 1x7 or 1x19. This is only one option broken down to the absolut basics, oh and with this rig, the swivel for the weight would be on the cable wind on. another option are hook-clips to athorten an long leader to an castable size. and the cable as rubbing leader is used cause you can go way lighter than with mono, 100lb cable would work with 65lb braid, but even 300lb mono is critical and can be snapped by the tail with one hit.
I can post the details later if you want.
Bye and good luck with you're first sharks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts