Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried topwaters around marsh banks and shallow rocks in the lower eastern shore with sucess?How do you fish water thats less than 5ft deep for Stripers in the fall in the Chesapeake w/o a boat?Do you look for baitfish,surface activity,or just blind casting?And,what are the most fishable plugs to use?Also,whats the best time?I've never done this style of flats fishing before?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Look for Structure....Pilings...old pier....pile of rocks. I bring 2 rods...one rod for small plugs and mirro lures and another fer grubs and Storms.

Alternate your retrieve and use a fluro leader.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok;But where to try?You got lots of area in the Maryland Chesapeake Bay from Hooper Island to Crisfield.Where is a good place to start.Im thinking about trying around Deal Island.Would be cool to get a bonus Speckle or Redfish while trying for Rockfish.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ok;But where to try?You got lots of area in the Maryland Chesapeake Bay from Hooper Island to Crisfield.Where is a good place to start.Im thinking about trying around Deal Island.Would be cool to get a bonus Speckle or Redfish while trying for Rockfish.
Speckles aren't bonuses down here they are common fare. Redfish are more uncommon and more uncommon this time of year. The main problem with down here is access. If you have a small boat, canoe or yak then your opportunities are endless ... by foot is a different matter. There really is not a lot of public access to shoreline with grass beds or piers with lights unless you know people. I am down here in Crisfield and I don't know many people with the sacred access ... mainly because most everyone down here has a skinny water boat . I don't so I don't get to do a lot of the fishing you are speaking of. The Crisfield dock (when the lights are on) can hold Stripers in its shadows but they are not always there. There is a bridge in Deal Island but I am not sure if you can fish from it. What I usually do is grab a map and do recon looking for roads that go to the water and see what is available. There are a few places where you can get lucky from shore but the great structure (outpouring guts during a falling tide, grassy beds near current etc etc are best fished from a boat.

I can tell you that Janes Island (Dougherty's Creek) will hold top feeding fish during twilight and you can cast to them. There is a small stretch of water to walk along but it is doable.

I am not as familiar with the Hoopers Island area other than the bridge. There are lots of opps down there but I have never explored them since it is a ways from home and I have other fish holding structure 10 minutes from my house. With this economy it is hard to leave fish to find fish.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are Speckles/Reds still around?

Might try for them as soon as this wind dies?How are the rates for motels need a good,cheap,place to stay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts