Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Have a 1987 Wrangler, believe it was the Wranglers inaugural season. Love it, but still can't figure out the leek when rain hit her.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
AI / Happy New Years

Shaggy,
Are you hitting AI over the next few days to try for the striped ones..I was planning on doing some fishing this weekend..but..family and holiday things..I know Liam is anxious to try some lures out on his new 7' Tica(Penn 4500 SS)..he also got a new surf bag with a lot of his own stuff. Have a great new years buddy! Be safe and tight lines! Go Ravens! ( I am an Eagles fan but always root for the Balt Birds > Orioles and Rvens when they are not playing my Eagles or Phillies):)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Was thinking about Friday night/Saturday, but with Cleveland beating Cinncinnati, and witnessing my first Baltimore victory in many a moon at home over the dreaded Steelers on Sunday night (dang it was nice for a late December game in Baltimore), thus sending us up against Tennessee Saturday, well the Ravens fan I am, I have to be in my M&T seat rooting for the boys, so no fishing. Also, elbow still sore, and now they are talking maybe a little bit of cutting. :jawdrop:

Now, anyone who has had bad elbow and the surgery, how long will I be out for? Do I have to wait until after the spring season at AI to do it, and if so, will it be in good enough shape for the fall run?

Have Jeep will travel (to Baltimore, go Ravens). :D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Yup, passenger side the worst, but good rain drivers side gets it too. Cleaned out vent on hood area, not there, thinking about replacing the rubber gasket where the windshield folds down. Windshield itself seems to be sealed good, so that would be (at least that I can think of) my last hope.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I wanted to know about your jeep is how do you carry your rods with you and one other person,do you have a rack and if so where can I get one to fit my 95 wrangler. I'm trying to get it ready for the sand. Larry

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Re: AI / Happy New Years

murphman said:
Shaggy,
Are you hitting AI over the next few days to try for the striped ones..I was planning on doing some fishing this weekend..
I'm planning on fishing the surf one day this weekend. I'll let you know soon - maybe we could meet at AI or the DE surf.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you hit it on the head, it's the rubber gasket between the wind sheld and the body of the jeep,I'v had mine replaced twice in the last 8 yrs. alot of places don't want to touch it and the dealer was my last choice and it cost me $800 to replace. Yea I won't give up on my jeep,when the day comes to replace my engine I'll pay it out,it's been good to me and can not think about getten rid of it.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Honestly, most of the time I travel alone, but it's also the reason I stick with 11' rods, they fit. Usually, I just bungie cord the rods to the roll bar, placed right can fit three reel ends toward the back and tips rising up toward the front, and other, fits good down center toward stick shift. Guess it wasn't too bad for a passenger, Anthony survived the trip to Hatteras and back. One day we'll meet up at AI and I'll show you some of my packing techniques, but am always looking for new travel ways that would allow up to 8 rods and a passenger. Now once on the beach, a four rod boat rod holder securly fixed to front enables me quick mobility.

Anyhow, have a great New Year and may the fishing be better.

Have Jeep will travel (to Baltimore Saturday, Go Ravens). :D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Oh yeah, another thing, the old baby needed a new Jasper before the fall fishing season, and if lucky, that means I should get another 15 years or so out of her at least.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of putting something together on my hard top,like a rack that will hold a 6' PVC pipe(6" dim) with two threaded end caps and then find some rod socks so I can protect them from nicks, while in the tube, this pipe should hold three rods(2-12' & 1-11'ers). I'v heard that if you travel with your rod tips toward the front that something might come off the road and nick them and when you hook into something big, "WELL" you know what happens next?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
First rag top Wrangler, and second had rods ass backwards. When travelling alone, rods inside, butt end toward the windshield and bungied to the roll bar, holding three nicely if reels spaced correctly, and with reels at passengers head, could make them uncomfortable. Now, 11' rods seem to be the maximum length so as not to stick out the the back end. Definately would use the PVC if roof top carring, only thing I wouldn't like is the reels need to be off and when you get ready to fish, preperation time takes longer (I'm impatient).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why you have a shorter rod inside already to sling lure just incase you run up on breaking fish,one other thing I'v got alot of 2" PVC in lenghts of 10' need any to make your longer sand spikes got to get rid of it sometime.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Bring some of that there PVC pipe with you (though my brother and I usually use 1.5" for spikes, got a couple of rods where the butt ends are to say the least a bit snug. Cut into 5' sections, point one end, drill hole at top end for eye screw and a bolt for butt to sit on, eye screw (need big enough) good for holding hand towels or pliers. Also, for an added touch, some permanent magic marker with lines marking feet (from top), dashes for 6" and you'll be able to judge the "keepers" pretty good.

Also, who knows (and I said last spring and fall), maybe I'll buy that there rubber piece, bring some tools and replace that thing on the beach while keeping an eye and ear on the rods and hope for no more moveable bath tub. It just always seems that even if the fish AIn't biting, I'd rather just hang out there and do, well, basically nothing but observing and reflecting.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey shaggy if I should cut the tubes into 5' sections I'll take them to work with me and have my buddy put a slot in the tube so that your reel won't move,this way you don't need a bolt holding the butt end of rod.It's no problem for a guy that's going to show an amateur how it's done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts