Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossin for em here in Richmond. No early takers or white perch yet. Anybody getting them at the mouths of the rivers on the coast yet?

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Was wondering the same with all of the early warm weather. If they're not here yet, should be any day now I would think!
I know this isn't too helpful, but there has been sporadic runs in SC already- earlier than usual. I am wondering the same thing for VA. I got report of 1 fish in the Chickahominy. They have to start trickling in sometime.
The MD white perch run is starting to make a showing- MD and VA river temps should be similar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this isn't too helpful, but there has been sporadic runs in SC already- earlier than usual. I am wondering the same thing for VA. I got report of 1 fish in the Chickahominy. They have to start trickling in sometime.
The MD white perch run is starting to make a showing- MD and VA river temps should be similar.
Cool....the local fish monger here gets their first ones out of the Carolina rivers. That usually means va rivers are a week behind. My favorite time of the year. Just means I get to take more gear to play with. Striper chasing that bait all the way to the dams. I've been catching monster cats all winter but they get big ole' stuffed bellies this time of year. I've caught 5 huge Bowfin in the last week of fishing......on 12/0 hooks with big 6 inch chunks of eel! Thats a good sign they're coming. I kept thinking it was bait poppin on the surface at night but it was those damn things. I live on them banks during the run. The better half got me a packable hammock so no more sleepin in the dirt for me. I might sell my boat and do the kayak thing. That just looks like way too much fun

· Registered
5,352 Posts
There are a few Hickory Shad in the Appomattox. Saw Cormorant's picking up a few yesterday. I tossed a spoon for a while and had a few follow it to the bank but no takers. Also the first Striper and first Walleye have been caught. Full moon is March 12 so it will shortly bust open..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a few Hickory Shad in the Appomattox. Saw Cormorant's picking up a few yesterday. I tossed a spoon for a while and had a few follow it to the bank but no takers. Also the first Striper and first Walleye have been caught. Full moon is March 12 so it will shortly bust open..
Cool....thanks. I just fished hard the last 2 nights. No bait or shad caught on a rod or cast net yet. Plenty of giant cats and Bowfin. Even catching flatheads now and channel cats too. The tide was crazy Friday night/Saturday morning. It looked like the river was getting drained empty on outgoing. I've never seen so much river bed exposed in the last 5 years fishing here. I still have 3- three pound shad left I bought from the fish monger. Gonna get a few eels and go try again later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't even net a gizzard shad. Boat guys are getting em but plucking them from the bank with a cast net has been tough the last few months. Water temps dropped to 47° currently so that don't bode well. Been tossing spoons and darts. Crawlers and fish bites for white perch. Gonna try some real bloodworm on a drop shot rig today. Way cheaper than homeade or store bought bottom rigs. Long shank gold #6 or 8 hooks....Palomar knot with the hook facing up and cheap split shots on the bottom tag end. Less snags and cheaper to lose if you do snag. Can put as many hooks inline as you want. Can even add more as needed/wanted. I can't believe how much fun this migratory spring run is. Catching them shad on ultralight gear is a blast.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.