Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could one of you people please help clear up a minor problem I have with the regulations for shad / herring in Delaware? Maryland is very clear, NO to the taking of American Shad and Hickory Shad. Herring (Alwife & Blueback) are alright to keep.
Delaware, on the other hand, per the regulations listed to the left on this page, omitts and mention of the shad / herring taking. Before I risk shooting my summer fishing budget in the shorts, could one of you more knowledgeable folks lend a hand?
Thank You Very Much,

Soapfish

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as I know, there are no shad or herring regulations in Delaware... If you are catching herring for bait, the only think that I do know for sure is that you are not allowed to use a cast net in Delaware spillways.... I know it isn't much, but I hope it helps....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Soapfish,
We ran into the same problem last year catching shad. We didnt expect to catch any on the Brandywine river in Wilmington by the Market street bridge but we were. We must have caught about 50 total the one day. We let them all go b/c you cant keep them in Maryland and we werent sure what the regs were for Delaware. We didnt really want to keep them but for a few of the larger ones we wanted to see if they would have come close to the record for delaware. Most of the large shad were much larger then the ones we have caught on the Susquehanna River. We emailed Delaware DNR and the told us we could keep them. I dont remember what the size or creel limit was that they told us. Try to email them and they should respond in a few day hopefully. Maybe if enough people come up with the same question year after year they might finally publish it. Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts