Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm not mistaken, it is legal to posses up to ten shad in the state of Delaware, but not Maryland. Qustion is I have never used Hickory Shad for cut bait and have not seen anyone else use it or even mention it here, is it a good, say blue fish bait?

Soapfish

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Soapfish, If I'm not mistaken but the Hickory Shad is the same thing as an herring and they're great bait for blues and seatrout. I use to use them for blues,but they have to be freash,not frozen,frozen won't stay on the hook,they fall apart when you cast. Their also good bait for catfish(cut bait). :) :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Triggerfish
It the Gizzard Shad & herring :) American Shad and Hickory Shad have no open season in MD :cool:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Things have changed so much in the past 20yrs. I use to catch the Hickory shad on the Potomac on the VA.side with no hassell,take them home and use some for pickeling and the rest for bait.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I remember when I was about 12 my dad took me under Chain Bridge and they were running. People down there scooping them out with nets. We just used shad darts :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's where I started under chain bridge,the first time I went was with a friend and he used a 5/0 treble with a little weight he was snagging them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thats what happened to the shad, everyone was taking them by the 20gal trashcans full,Have no idea what they would use them for, to many bones to eat. did have one old guy tell me to fry them till the bones fryout :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Oldsalt...The roe was the prize. Sauteed shad roe in bacon drippings with bacon wrapped around it was a featured item in many resturants back in the 60's. I used to fish for them at Conowingo and the female white (American) shad were the only fish we'd keep. They would be bled on the spot to insure the roe remained untainted. All the buck shad went back as did most of the hickories. I'm sure there are some oldtimers out there that remember this.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
THANKS to evertone who was willing to help me get Herring.
We found frozen herring in NY at a bait shop in Watervliet.
IT WORKED!
Caught nice 30" rockfish. I have a picture, but have to find a scanner.
Hayabusa octopus #3 hook on fish finder rig. 7' MH rod with old mitchell 300 reel with 12 lb test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts