Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay this may sound like i should know already but i don't ... i need someone to tell me when i cast and i'm going for distance... with my spinning reel...am i supposed to have my drag tightened all the way down?.... i'd love to take a distance casting workshop but i don't know of any in va beach... anybody know of any?...

·
Registered
681 Posts
ouch!

If the drag is not locked down on a spinner, the line will slip. If that happens, your finger will be cut. Ask me how I know. It's a mistake that you will only make once. Also, from what I've been told. If you are using braid, the cut could be severe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for info guys

thanx for the info...i almost cut myself once by not having it cranked all the way down but i just wanted to be sure...thanx again aero993 and derf...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tighten it down tight enough to where it will not slip while making a cast plus another half turn. Contrary to popular belief, you don't want to screw it in until it will not turn any more.Its not good for your drag washers.If the drag uses oil soaked felt it mashes the oil out and compresses the felt.You sure don't want to leave it screwed down during storage.Also you can buy or make a leather finger guard or use some cloth tape on your finger.Or you can get you a breakaway cannon and mount it on your rod.They work great for hard surf casting..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts