Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I was talking with a tackle shop employee about getting my Stradic cleaned. He told me to send it to Shimano because, "They're really good about replacing stuff on their high-end reels (Stradics, Stellas) at little or no cost. They like to keep those customers coming back. Ship it to them and they'll clean it for fifteen bucks."

Yesterday I get an invoice for just over FIFTY BUCKS for the cleaning, roller clutch assembly and ball bearings (the reel was only two years old and the bearings were fine). Not only that, but I asked in my letter to them for them to replace the drag washers. What did they send back? The spare spool is still covered in sand and salt, obviously untouched, and the reel itself looks like it was barely cleaned at all.

I won't make this mistake again and I hope no one else out there will.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Flea, call Shimano @ 877-577-0600 and ask for Dane. See ya soon my friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought several shimano's a few years ago and now only have one.

I always received good service, but it always took a LONG time to get things fixed.

Because of this I have switched to Penn. I twice needed parts and received them quickly.

You may have just sent your gear in at the wrong time. I imagine this is the busiest time of year for reel repair.

I do think shimano makes a slightly better product (especially drags) than Penn.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they insisted that the bearings were shot and so I basically had no way of disputing the charges.

Which leads me to a bigger question: should bearings be fried in a high-end reel that's only two years old? Perhaps the more it costs, the quicker it craps out. :mad: Maybe if you buy a Stella it stops working before you can get it home...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took a charter 2 years ago and the captain told me there are 2 ways to kill your bearings.

Reeling in when the fish is taking drag
and
Reeling in a big fish instead of pumping him in.

When I was a kid my dad would let me reel in nearly all of the fish he hooked. I ruined the bearings in more than one reel this way.

How much use has the reel gotten? Was is designed for the type of fishing you used it for?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Sand Flea,
All that distance you get on your cast must be the culprit. You throw it so far, you ruined your bearings.
Just kidding. You were getting pretty good at the whole distance casting thing anyway.

Just curious, any luck calling the person Andy recommended?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a spinning reel, Husky, so casting wouldn't do squat. And I'm still not very good at distance. You oughta' see Salty throw some time--he puts almost no effort into--cool technique.

It got no greater use than any of my other equipment and was treated fairly well, but let's be honest here guys: surf fishing is hard on a reel. That's why I bought one of their high-end products, thinking it would hold up.

I talked to the person Andy recommended. He was a nice guy and I'm not criticizing him, but I'm still ticked.

TomL: I never do either of those things. I reel on the downstroke, and only after I've turned the fish.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Flea don't send a reel in until Salty says I give. He has rebuilt several of mine. The work he did on the GS555 is nothing short of amazing. In reality the bearings in the Stradic should not wear out in 2 years unless they were defective(my attack) with that said the factory would have tighter tolerances when it came to the spec's. Did they do the work you asked for (drag)? I like my Stradic it was doing some wierd things last fall(internal gears or bearings would be the culprit). I will try to talk Salty into playing with it first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you guys are looking for someone local for reel service try Queens Creek Outfitters in Cobbs Creek,VA. They do warranty work for Penn and Shimano. I've had reel good luck with Jerry. His web address is queenscreek.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
HEY SAND FLEA IF SALTY IS TOO BUSY OR HE DOES "GIVE" BASS PRO SHOPS SERVICES AND REPAIRS RODS AND REELS STARTING AT $15 BUCKS PLUS PARTS AND SHIPPING THEY HAVE AN ADVERTISEMENT IN THEIR MASTER CATALOG (P.83)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts