Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I may be able to use this rod and reel offshore in NJ at some point,more likely I would Surf or pier fish in New Jersey With my Beachmaster or Surfmaster,I was offered a trade for the Garcia ,heavy 6’6”,”Conolon “rod it’s on for a 10 ft. Rod that may work as a surf rod for either two smaller Penns,I don’t have any specs on it yet,,I’ve done surf fishing in NJ but I’m a fairly rank amateur to any salt water fishing style, The values and equipment I’m also learning,So how much could I expect to pay for a Senator worthy rod to replace the present one it’s on,I am assuming the Garcia is a boat rod for trolling due it’s shorter length? And how much is a decent surf rod,casting, and is there a real big deal as to its length,10’ compared to 12’ and longer surf rods,I’ve heard of? I had fun with an 7’ cheapo and a budget open face spinner before,probably would have been chewed and spit out by anything of consequence,I did catch a bony kind of critter with fins that looked like wings but would like to be better prepared next time! Any help and hints are appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have been offshore fishing with penn 6/0's for over 20 years and have had many a person tellme they can't handletuna etc. well i have yet to see that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I understand correctly, you will use the smaller Penn's in the surf, and 6/0 offshore. I couldn't quite follow what rods you ended up with, but I think a ten foot surf rod, correct? Is it a spinning or casting model? Casting those Penn reels on a rod built for spinners is doable, but is going to be unwieldy. You didn't say which models you have: 155 or 160 Beachmaster? 200, 150 or 100 Surfnaster? If the 155 or 200, i'd only spool about 2/3's up, with 20 or 25 lb test on a ten foot rod. That will make it a lot more manageable until your thumb gets educated, as these reels have no braking. You should be able to get 75 yards with 5 ounces with a little practice and control.

You can get a rod for under a $100 bucks for the Senator. They are hosses; I have well over a hundred. For true. Look at pawn shops / yard sales too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thor sorry for confusion. i use my 6/0's on 5-6' stand up rods for offshore. i don't use them in the surf. i have true surf reels and rods for that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok got it. The 6/0 is a tank. Same main gear as a 9/0 (114H 6/0 does). The only thing I've ever encountered broken on one is chrome rings: the plastic plates can swell in time and crack ring around screw holes. If you put a Tiburon aluminum frame and modern carbon fiber drags in one, especially with older steel main gear, it will pull about as much drag you can hold fishing standup. I caught a 250 lb shark on one, cranking him straight up from bottom. I was about 240 and in great shape at the time, and it torqued the solid glass rod permanently and about beat me in the process putting that much heat on. The bone stock 114HLW had a cup of coffee and never flinched.

Not saying a lever drag isn't easier to troll with, but I've not seen any YFT and definitely no blackfin that would break a 114H in NC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts