Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
they are thinking about it for sure...please fill out the survey.....i voted to keep it public and build a fish cleaning station...last thing we need is to be charged $7 to go fish on beach lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keep it the way it is, in this case, public is better.
I agree on adding the fish cleaning station, but you know they will complain about where to put the waste!----------or tell us if you don't have a boat, you cannot clean your fish here etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Actually the title is a little miss leading the survey asks if they want to lease it to a private company. Anywho, I am against the concept between having a city employee and the honor system boxes I think that the system works just fine, so long as you remember to bring a pen so that you can fill out the envelope.

Tom

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'd like to see it privatized. Rather than supplementing launch fees with tax dollars, let private companies duke it out for boaters' business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wish the same guys that run Owls creek would operate Sandbridge pier.

It's out of commision again duing the best season. It could not take much to repair it, Understand only the entrance ramp was damaged but it's not a priority.

They Owls creek faclity is the best one I use.

Boats

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a friend with a boat & when we went to Bubba's, it was $8 to launch. It is only $5 to launch at the new Lynnhaven Facility. Make it Private & they will both be at $10.00.................and for what? Funds to pay their high property taxes? I just think that if it were private, it would be more NO Parking signs, new loading zones for trucks supplying new concession operations, less parking, Friends of the manager or the Manager's boat tied or parked outside in the way, more garbage on the beach & they would compete with Bubba's till it would cost $15 to park & $20 to launch. If you have a huge boat, the cost is nothing b/c you can afford such, but if you & your kid want to launch a $1000 jon-boat rig to go fishing in the turning basin, it would cost you 2% of the value of your rig at that rate. You better catch a lot of fish for that.

Sandbridge Pier:

Yea, I agree, they certainly need better management to set their priorities. That thing is closed during Their Absolute best time of the year! I took Vacation days off months in advance of Izzy to fish there only to be told it would be closed till April............I ended up at Willoughby catching very small hogfish---what a disappointment.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Boats on Sandbridge it will take a fair amount of work to fix the pier. Also they already planned to do alot of work(new ADA ramp, decking Power upgrades etc) in the spring that would just tear out anything they do now. The pier generates no income this time of year. So I understand why they don't do it now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Let's try again. They intent is not to sell the land/landing/building to a private company. It is to lease it to a private company and have them run the business for a profit. Now let me see the guy taking your money needs to make money, the book keeper needs to make money, the guy taking the trash out needs to make money, the OWNER needs to make lots of money. Hey we can get $10 across the bridge why not charge them $20 so that the guys with licenses actually pay $10.

Here is a scary thought what if the guy who runs Bubba's gets the contract. Then it would almost be a certainty that the fees would go up.

Nope. My vote goes for keeping in the city's hands. They have a bookeeping department, a sanatation department, and a limited on site staff. Keep the honor box for after hours. Keep the money in excess of that guy's salary in a seperate fund so that it can be used for maintenance and improvements.

Tom

W

·
0 Posts
Who is selling the Lynnhaven boat ramp facility ? Is it us ? I mean those of us who purchase salt water fishing licenses ?
Here's the deal ;
It was built using funds raised from the license fees for salt water. That makes it part mine and yours. So what will happen to the money " WE " spent to build it in the first place? Will the profits go back into the License fund ?
In the beginning it was supposed to even be " FREE " to use due to where the funds came from the construct it and purchase the land. But Demetri cried so hard about it " putting him out of business at Bubbas" the city decided to make a five dollar charge there.
So " WE " Own it, if you have a salt water license ! So if they are going to privatize it, don't forget my share of the profits.
Contact me via e-mail for the address to send the check. OK ?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Great point Windhawk,

I can't seem to understand the city sometimes.Use our liscense money to build a boat ramp,and then try to find a private company to buy it so the doesn't have to manage it anymore?Yeah I am looking for my cut in the mail also(let's see how long I can hold my breath)

Sounds like a bunch of crock.Well it goes without saying also,We pay taxes to upgrade streets,traffic lights,sand replenishments,but are treated like lepers or peasants when we try to park in these million dollar developements,that our taxes helped pave.

We live in a great coastal community,but unless you have the bucks or political power or hit the lottery we will always play second banana to NC,DE,MD and all points north or south of us that help support there recreational fishery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The beach has got to be making money hand over fist at this facility. This weekend alone boats were waiting for spaces to open up as usuall. Why would they want to privatize a good thing? Makes no sence to me other than thats our Govt. hard at work again.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
They wouldn't privatize it if it were raking in more than was spent. Which means that tax dollars are going to make up the shortfall. Do you really want your tax dollars going to fund this thing?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Our Goverments are not capitalistic machines and are not that effecent. But in this case I feel that the profit potential is greater for Private business than the city(who is making very good money) so somebody wants it for themselves. Atleast this is my guess. I don't believe they are losing money on staffing. It was designed to be a "public" landing built with public funds. If it was not for the law suite from Bubba's it would be free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It will happen

Well fellow fisherman the sad part is it will happen. It comes down to how much will the city make and put in the coffer. Remember the days when you could fish croitan point right across from the lighthouse rest. on rudy inlet. Well there is still limited parking there,amongst the million dollar homes, the city has it closed off for there dredgs boats and crew. And for those of you that havent heard the contracters are already taking pics of Duck inn and marking off where the NEW condos will go. Hence more money to the city. We are slowly but losing our surf fishing ground.

JUST KEEP FISHING

·
Registered
634 Posts
i would rather my tax $ be used for something related to fishing or boats than something i never see or cant take advantage of....but i was wondering if it was "public" why they was charging fees?..now i know..

·
Registered
862 Posts
The way that the current agreement with VMRC is written any money over the operating expenses is required to be set aside for long term maintenance and improvements.

Again the title was incorrect it is not for sale just for lease.

Fill out the survey. Tell them you do not want it. Tell your friends to fill out the survey.

Tom

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Re: It will happen

cobia77 said:
And for those of you that havent heard the contracters are already taking pics of Duck inn and marking off where the NEW condos will go. Hence more money to the city. We are slowly but losing our surf fishing ground.
Have they decided to sell? Please tell me you're just theorizing around the Pilot story.

If they really are selling, Lynnhaven Inlet is dead for us shorebound folks.

You know, you Va. anglers don't know how good you have it. Yeah, you may have problems here and there but in most states, my current home of Md. included, the vast majority of the beaches are off limits. There is no access, no parking, everything is private. And I fear it's headed that way down there.

Man, I hope Duck Inn's property can go to a park if they're really selling.

Now where in the heck am I going to drink beer when I'm waiting for a winter blitz?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts