Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
I worked at a tackle shop and the Comms definitely don't hang around to see where the fish are caught by the Recs .... I know the Coms and if they want to know where the Recs are catchin all they have to do is ride up the beach in there boat and see where the fisherman are packed up .... never heard tell of a tackle shop employee calling Coms to tell them fish locations ...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The Trout congregate in every out suck hole by every Pier on the OBX. Shame that Frisco Pier could not survive, it was a good spot in Winter to get the Trout on the secret secret lure called the Mirrolure. But before the Trout congregated to the North side of Frisco Pier, the Trout Fishermen had been on them for Months in Fall on the North Side of Kitty Hawk, Avalon, Nags Head, and Outer Banks.

Commercial guys when they drop the bait off to the Tackle Shops, do not hang around much, even at Hatteras Jacks which has a Friendly Dog to pet and chatty Employees and Owners. They chat about who is up to what and then they go back to tend to their gear and boat.

The Point has been off limits to Commercials for as long as I can remember. not too many secret spots left, to get secret inside information from the Tackle Shops.

I was a commercial at one time, you are limited by Draft in areas on the Pamlico, so your sets are out in deeper water, what the Natives call "Back of the Reef" unless you were Flounder Fishing. The only interaction we had with Tackle Shops was dropping bait off for Cash money and saying Hello to our Friends. Back then the Pamlico had net boats, now there are windsurfers and kite-boarders.

Cost of fuel likely kept a lot of Drop-Net Commercials at the Docks this Spring. A lot of them likely went Crabbing due to the cost of a Bushel of Crabs in the Chesapeake going to the outer limits of affordability. Crabbing is not as Romantic as Fishing but it is far more a $$$ in the Pamlico.

The Locals are intertwined, they also know BS when they step in it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I worked at a tackle shop and the Comms definitely don't hang around to see where the fish are caught by the Recs .... I know the Coms and if they want to know where the Recs are catchin all they have to do is ride up the beach in there boat and see where the fisherman are packed up .... never heard tell of a tackle shop employee calling Coms to tell them fish locations ...
Let me clarfy what I meant to say . I have never seen the com boys hanging around a tackle store either. I am not talking about different species of fish that were caught along the beaches . What I am talking about when in winter the trout , back when there were trout , would school up in the holes just north of piers. Especially in the evenings when rec. fishermen would latch onto the trout mainly with redheaded mirrolures ,rec fishermen would stop by tackle stores on the way out fishing , the store employees would tell these rec fishermen to stop by on the way in and to let them know what they caught . If there seemed like the trout were starting to arrive in these holes , one hole in particular was the one just north of the old Frisco pier , the store mole would either call up family members or friends and let them know that the water was cold enough and the trout were in . Early the next morning the netters would go out of Hatteras Inlet right around to the Frisco pier ,seign it, and and be back home before day light. I had a friend that leasted the Frisco pier , state owned it , he filled me in on a lot of what was going on.This didn't happen once it happened year after year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I will agree with you on the fishing decline. Our fisheries commission is owned by the commercial industry and until we get a governor willing to use political capitol to fix it we continue on our path to destruction. Personally, I am not much on pictures but will offer advice occasionally........
Back in the early 80 s I was a member of North Carolina Beach Buggy Ass. The president of the ass. met with N.C. governor about commercial fishermen raping the fishing industry . Never will forget , governor stated that , in a round about way , that when sport fishermen put money in his coffers like the commercial fishermen , he might listen. Then the buggy ass. went around to the tackle stores and wanted tackles stores to to put a petition on their counter , asking that rec. fishermen sign petition stating that they were fed up with state gov. and they demanded something be gone to stop commercial fishermen from exploting the fishing. As you can guess most of tackle stores would not let the petition be put out. Locals are all intertwined .The fox still owns the hen house . If you would like to have some fun call up a tacke store like TW s , Frank and Fran in Avon , Frisco Rod @ Gun and so forth and tell them you would like to put a petition in their shop for fishermen to sign demanding governor protect the rec. fisherman and these petitions will be hand carried to Roy Cooper .These tackle shops will say no way . To show you how corrupt N.C. Marine Fisheries is . ask yourself why sport fishermen time slot for catching flounder is only weeks away and commercial fishermen have several weeks in late Oct. If you don't know then I will tell you, the water temp . is way to hot for flounder when rec fishermen are allowed to catch flounder. Now the water temp for flounder is just right for commercial fishermen . Want to have more fun , call up N.C.M. Fisheries and ask them why can't sportfishermen have same time slot as commercial . I did and they will blow more smoke up your ass than Biden. Go ahead and make that call . I double dog dare you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well.....This is all so sad. I decide to fish the surf and marshes around Top Sail and OBX a few yrs ago. I have spent many,many hours studying the maps, watching videos, asking questions here, etc., etc. and know that area like the back of my hand even though I live in Ohio. I make the trip twice every year and always thought My skills just sucked. I did ok in the marshes but the surf fishing sucked every time. I feel I know quite a bit by all my studies. I guess I will have to find a new coastal area to learn and start all over again. That sucks because I learned so much from time on the water. Oh well, any suggestions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Like a lot of us, if you were able to spend a lot more time in the OBX/HI/TI you would probably have a different opinion on the overall fishing. Some good days, ok days and skunk days. 2 weeks out of a year is a VERY small sample size. IMO, you just have to try and make the best of each trip.

My buddy was just in Hatteras this past week and he is not a very good fisherman (self admittedly) , but he caught some black tips, spanish and puppy drum.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like a lot of us, if you were able to spend a lot more time in the OBX/HI/TI you would probably have a different opinion on the overall fishing. Some good days, ok days and skunk days. 2 weeks out of a year is a VERY small sample size. IMO, you just have to try and make the best of each trip.

My buddy was just in Hatteras this past week and he is not a very good fisherman (self admittedly) , but he caught some black tips, spanish and puppy drum.
Don't tell me . ! Let me guess . He has a boat or access to one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
te

Well.....This is all so sad. I decide to fish the surf and marshes around Top Sail and OBX a few yrs ago. I have spent many,many hours studying the maps, watching videos, asking questions here, etc., etc. and know that area like the back of my hand even though I live in Ohio. I make the trip twice every year and always thought My skills just sucked. I did ok in the marshes but the surf fishing sucked every time. I feel I know quite a bit by all my studies. I guess I will have to find a new coastal area to learn and start all over again. That sucks because I learned so much from time on the water. Oh well, any suggestions?
Maybe I can make you feel better. It is not your skills that suck .It is the N.C. Marine Fisheries that SUCK. Along with Roy Cooper. There are 6 members on the N.C. Marine Fisheries board .. 3 commercial fishermen , 2 at large members [ those 2 always side and vote with the commercial members ] just shadow commercial fishermen . And 1 fisheries scientist , who alway leans toward the commercial fishermen interest. All of these people are appointed by governor. They know Roy Cooper will throw their crooked arse off the gravy train if they try to make waves . They all love their appointed jobs. They are fully aware of which side their bread is buttered. In most other states the boards are made up of unbias members and scientist who look at the big picture and make value judgements on fishing industries. The swamp,, of the N.C. Marine Fisheries Board , needs to be drained along with Roy Cooper. Unfortunately It probably will never happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, I all ready have my last week of Oct trip planned. Am bringing my kayak again for the marshes and surf rods to fish for drum. I will let you all know how it goes when I get back. I may have a 17ft bay boat by then to bring also. I know what you mean with the comm fishers. We have similar problems here on Lake Erie being RAPED of yellow perch by the US AND Canadian govts. No matter what we try it doesn't work. $$$$$. You used to go down to the breakwalls and catch 14" jumbos like crazy. No you can't find a perch period unless its a white perch. :mad:

·
Registered
121 Posts

I would be more inclined to agree with that if I hadn't done the one or two weeks a year thing throughout the '80s and saw a lot more fish being caught. You didn't need to be a local back then to visit OBX for a week, September through November or April through mid June, and be able to bring home a couple of filled coolers. Yeah, you might have a hurricane screw up your timing in the fall, or a hard blow in the spring, but even then if you could manage to fish right after those things then the fishing appeared to get even better. It seemed that the rougher the surf then the better chance of close-in puppy drum and big schools of panfish in the second slough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well, I all ready have my last week of Oct trip planned. Am bringing my kayak again for the marshes and surf rods to fish for drum. I will let you all know how it goes when I get back. I may have a 17ft bay boat by then to bring also. I know what you mean with the comm fishers. We have similar problems here on Lake Erie being RAPED of yellow perch by the US AND Canadian govts. No matter what we try it doesn't work. $$$$$. You used to go down to the breakwalls and catch 14" jumbos like crazy. No you can't find a perch period unless its a white perch. :mad:
If you are going down to Hatteras with the 17' boat and want to fish for drum , may I suggest you put in at Teaches Lair , closest marina to Hatteras Inlet., or Hatteras Harbor Marina , right next door to each other. The employees at both of these places don't try to sell you tackle and other things . They would like for you to buy ice , beer , and some bait from them . Did I say lots of beer .They are very helpful on giving fishing tips . Also most of the inshore charter captains don't mind you following them out and will also give you some good advice. I have a 17 ' Carolina Skiff and what I usually like to go far enough into the mouth of the inlet where the incoming waves start to bbreak. I like to go out when tide starts to turn and starts moving in. I put a fish finder rig on with a large chunk of bait , cut the motor , and drift across the ferry channel , dragging my bait. When tide starts running hard I stay further back from ocean. If you do try this ,watch for the ferries . Ferry capains have no big sense of humor. First on drums druthers they prefer chunks of blue crab , bunker / menhaden . If drum are real hungry they will eat mullet . Proble with mullet is the fish scent washes off fairly quick . Especially when filleted . Bunker are oily and bloody and cutting them cross ways and put the hook through upper back . Under dorsel fin . Normally cheaper than mullet also .Mullet are going for $3.50 a pound. Then you have over half in waste when you fillet them. I normally put a 20 lb / 30 lb shock leader about 18 " of flourocarbon line. I love the Gamakatsu Octopus .[ red ] Thin wire. I have trouble with the circle hooks because I want to set hook and therefore miss a lot. I put a black swivel above the 18 " leader then I put a red glass bead followed by a pearl colored bead , followed by color of choice . Notice I said glass beads never ever plastic beads . Reason pulling on line and wave action the glass beads make a clicking sound when they bum each other . I also like the beads with lots of flat sides not perfectly round beads . Med size beads larger than pencil eraser . I buy mine from Amazon. Then I put a med size spinner above beads . Do not try to constrict movement of beads and spinner blade . For drum and flounder I prefer live finger mullet. For the marshes I buy a lb box of frozen squid usually from Food Lion. After thawing I take scissors and cut squid into strips leaving a tenacle or two. Just use a small barrel sinker. Oh ! in the inlet I swith to large barrel sinker at slack tide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are going down to Hatteras with the 17' boat and want to fish for drum , may I suggest you put in at Teaches Lair , closest marina to Hatteras Inlet., or Hatteras Harbor Marina , right next door to each other. The employees at both of these places don't try to sell you tackle and other things . They would like for you to buy ice , beer , and some bait from them . Did I say lots of beer .They are very helpful on giving fishing tips . Also most of the inshore charter captains don't mind you following them out and will also give you some good advice. I have a 17 ' Carolina Skiff and what I usually like to go far enough into the mouth of the inlet where the incoming waves start to bbreak. I like to go out when tide starts to turn and starts moving in. I put a fish finder rig on with a large chunk of bait , cut the motor , and drift across the ferry channel , dragging my bait. When tide starts running hard I stay further back from ocean. If you do try this ,watch for the ferries . Ferry capains have no big sense of humor. First on drums druthers they prefer chunks of blue crab , bunker / menhaden . If drum are real hungry they will eat mullet . Proble with mullet is the fish scent washes off fairly quick . Especially when filleted . Bunker are oily and bloody and cutting them cross ways and put the hook through upper back . Under dorsel fin . Normally cheaper than mullet also .Mullet are going for $3.50 a pound. Then you have over half in waste when you fillet them. I normally put a 20 lb / 30 lb shock leader about 18 " of flourocarbon line. I love the Gamakatsu Octopus .[ red ] Thin wire. I have trouble with the circle hooks because I want to set hook and therefore miss a lot. I put a black swivel above the 18 " leader then I put a red glass bead followed by a pearl colored bead , followed by color of choice . Notice I said glass beads never ever plastic beads . Reason pulling on line and wave action the glass beads make a clicking sound when they bum each other . I also like the beads with lots of flat sides not perfectly round beads . Med size beads larger than pencil eraser . I buy mine from Amazon. Then I put a med size spinner above beads . Do not try to constrict movement of beads and spinner blade . For drum and flounder I prefer live finger mullet. For the marshes I buy a lb box of frozen squid usually from Food Lion. After thawing I take scissors and cut squid into strips leaving a tenacle or two. Just use a small barrel sinker. Oh ! in the inlet I swith to large barrel sinker at slack tide.
I had to read this a couple times to absorb it all! Thanks for the great info.. I will definitely use it for reference! Still working on getting that boat but 2 guys not calling me back. Must have sold and not delisted. Hope to find one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had to read this a couple times to absorb it all! Thanks for the great info.. I will definitely use it for reference! Still working on getting that boat but 2 guys not calling me back. Must have sold and not delisted. Hope to find one.
I have a 17' Carolina Skiff Jv 17 with 25 hp Yamaha tiller out board. Boat will run in fairly shallow water . What I don't like is just the hull weighs 750 lb. very heavy boat. Not a lot of free board so if the water is choppy you better have a good rain coat. My boat is only 7 miles or so frum Hatteras Inlet but I still don't like towing it. I have been doing a lot of research on boats in the last couple of years and a boat that I have in mind is a new boat by Sea Ark . It is the 1652 mvt with tunnel hull will go in very skinny water . Hull only weighs 450 lb. People say wait that boat has a aluminum hull . Corrode out in salt water . The reason they call their boats Sea Ark is because they are made to run in salt water. No rivets in hull . All welded . My understanding is the boat can withstand anything your kidneys can . Several months back the hull made for tiller only cost 5 /6 thousand. You can go on line and buy new 25 hp Yamaha motor really reasonable . Put it on yourself. Now for the bad part ! Unless things have changed the earliest you can get a new one is first of coming year. Used are very hard to come by as gas is very expensive and expected to go back up in fall. There are a lot of deep water creeks on Hatteras that hold a lot of puppy drum . and flounder .Sometimes the mouth of creeks are fairly shallow and get deeper on in . I know someone who has a Sea Ark 1652 MV Special . He wouldn't have a fiberglass boat. I see more and more fishermen coming on Hatteras with Sea Arks. With inflation in general and price of oil what it is there are a lot fewer larger fiberglass boats on the road . If you want a used fiberglass boat wait a few more months . People think everything is going back to the way it was . Those days are over.Thing are only going down hill from here. I haven't priced the new Sea arks lately but I think you can It wouldn't hurt to check them out. Maybe .buy a new one like I mentioned for around 10/11 thousand with tiller motor .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 17' Carolina Skiff Jv 17 with 25 hp Yamaha tiller out board. Boat will run in fairly shallow water . What I don't like is just the hull weighs 750 lb. very heavy boat. Not a lot of free board so if the water is choppy you better have a good rain coat. My boat is only 7 miles or so frum Hatteras Inlet but I still don't like towing it. I have been doing a lot of research on boats in the last couple of years and a boat that I have in mind is a new boat by Sea Ark . It is the 1652 mvt with tunnel hull will go in very skinny water . Hull only weighs 450 lb. People say wait that boat has a aluminum hull . Corrode out in salt water . The reason they call their boats Sea Ark is because they are made to run in salt water. No rivets in hull . All welded . My understanding is the boat can withstand anything your kidneys can . Several months back the hull made for tiller only cost 5 /6 thousand. You can go on line and buy new 25 hp Yamaha motor really reasonable . Put it on yourself. Now for the bad part ! Unless things have changed the earliest you can get a new one is first of coming year. Used are very hard to come by as gas is very expensive and expected to go back up in fall. There are a lot of deep water creeks on Hatteras that hold a lot of puppy drum . and flounder .Sometimes the mouth of creeks are fairly shallow and get deeper on in . I know someone who has a Sea Ark 1652 MV Special . He wouldn't have a fiberglass boat. I see more and more fishermen coming on Hatteras with Sea Arks. With inflation in general and price of oil what it is there are a lot fewer larger fiberglass boats on the road . If you want a used fiberglass boat wait a few more months . People think everything is going back to the way it was . Those days are over.Thing are only going down hill from here. I haven't priced the new Sea arks lately but I think you can It wouldn't hurt to check them out. Maybe .buy a new one like I mentioned for around 10/11 thousand with tiller motor .
I really don't want aluminum. Had a Crestliner I used in Lake Erie, it will kill your back, kidneys, butt, etc..Went to Ranger fiberglass and the ride was way better and much, much dryer. Looked at the Sea Arks but not what I really want, but thank you! I think a used fiberglass is what I am looking for. Hard to find, like you said.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts