Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Seagull from about 2pm until 10:30pm. Nothing much happening for first couple of hours. Then the whiting (roundheads) starting biting. The bite was a bit slow, but was steady, and the fish were very good size (several over 1/2 pound and saw one that was probably a citation).

That bite stopped around 8:30 - 9. They had been hiting squid.

Saw 2 stripers, both in the mid-20" range. One caught on menhaden (not sure what the other was caught on).

Caught one blue about 12" on cut bait. A few small flounder and sea bass were caught. Everything slowed down after dark (up until I left, anyway).

While I was there, 2 different people had their rods pulled over the pier by skate. The amazing part was, that both rods were later caught and recovered! The first happend about 30 minutes after it went over - and it still had the skate on it! The second rod was caught (by me!!) about 20 minutes after it had flipped over - and it, too, still had the skate on it. --- Talk about good luck.

Overall, I nice day to be on the planks. I took home the one blue, and about 10 fat whiting. Sunday was spent eating fried fish and hush puppies, drinking cold beverages, and watching football. Talk about a good weekend. (By the way - I made some crab cakes using the Blue filets and a couple of the whiting filets --- excellent!)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for Pulling in My Rod

I can attest to the rod being pulled over by a sting ray. One of the rod was mine. This happened while I was cleaning the roundheads about 20 to 30 yards from where my rod was.

The rod is equipped with a Shimano Baitrunner 4500 which has a secondary baitrunner drag which was not clicked on..... I was thankful for the fishermen who hooked into it and probably didn't thank him enough. And yes, the stingray was still on it. I had to wash out the reel pretty good, but it is reeling fine right now.

The post is very consistent to what I experienced. Slow but steady. The water was still murky. I caught about 17 roundheads (bloodworms), 2 trout (1 keeper), some tiny spots, the stingray that pulled over my rod that had the spot on it, some pig fish and a giant eel. I fished from 2:30 to 8:00 PM. I didn't get a single flounder bite and no stripers. I was hoping for flounders and stripers of course.

I didn't realize the roundhead was such a good tasting fish since I usually give the croakers and the like to others. I don't care for croakers, but this roundhead is a darn good tasting fish. The eel will be salted, smoked and eaten as well. Unless the weather is really good, this was probably my last trip on the pier in Virginia.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CCC6588 --- It sounds like your rod was the one I pulled in. The first rod that went over was near the first bait cleaning table (nearest the gift shop). The guy who owned it was fishing several rods, and just walking around when it happened. That was the one I witnessed, but had no part in.

The rod that I caught was from a man cleaning fish at the small cleaning table near the end of the pier. I guess that was you. Never thought to ask if you were a P & S'er.

Glad the reel cleaned up ok. And I agree with you - those roundheads are some good eating fish!

·
Registered
441 Posts
That was me ROPIV. Thanks for catching my rod!!!

I am sure glad to have it back. I broke the tip off a St. Croix rod early this fall and didn't need to lose another one.

You guys were sure having a lot of fun with the light rods. I noticed you guys later in the day. If you had come to the spot earlier, I am sure you would have caught a lot more. The person who was right next to me on my right and his companion right behind did really well with the roundheads. Although I didn't catch any flounders or stripers, it was still a very nice day. I will remember to put it on my log for future roundhead basts.

Take care and thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts