Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave (8nb8 aka Reeled_Out) and I had decided that we were going to participate in the Rock Around the Clock Striper Tournament at the Seagull Pier (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel). A check of the tides and the weather forecast (for temps) influenced us to agree upon a 5AM arrival time.

At 6:00PM (last night), Dave called to confirm that all was a "go". During the process of attempting to confirm our decision to arrive at 5AM (Sat), we ended up convincing ourselves that we needed to be there at 11PM (Fri)... in 5 hours! It has always struck me as an interesting anomoly... the closer one gets to the appointed hour to fish, the more likely it becomes that the start time will be moved sooner.

And so we each arrived within minutes of each other at 11:00PM. A quick stop to register and we were headed down the pier to get set up. Temps were not too bad at that time; 50 degrees air and about 51 degrees water temp. Winds were variable at 2-5 mph... water was smooth with barely a ripple. At midnight, we each set out drum rigs with fresh bunker and began our wait.

Within the first hour, two striper were caught... and the competition was on. Nothing else would be caught until much later in the day. At about 1AM, the wind turned on... as if controlled by a light switch. The earlier light breeze was suddenly 15 mph. By 2:30AM it was up to 25 mph and the temps in the mid to upper 40's felt like low 30's. At 4:30AM, I'd had enough and headed to the van for a few hours of sleep and some much desired warmth (without wind).

8:30AM and I was back at it. Winds were still romping along at just shy of 20 mph and it was still chilly. Rebaited with bunker and I was fishing again. At various points during the day, I'd throw a jig or a storm... just to see what might be lurking. But we didn't see another fish caught until sometime in the early afternoon. And then it was dead again.

At 5PM, a nice sized striper was caught from the "T" at the end. About that same time, I noticed that there were some bait fish swirling just below the surface at the south side of the pier. With a white storm attached, I casted beyond the bait and allowed the storm to sink. I then began to bring it in. A fish hit and then seemed to be gone. It wasn't gone however... it was simply a 4" bait fish (menhaden, I believe).

Again I tossed out the storm... and on this retrieve, the "hit" was also accompanied by a severe bend to my 9' Tsumami and the sound of the reel's drag. With 20# braid, I didn't want to horse it in too quickly... and encouraged myself to have patience. After about the 10th run on the drag, I had it at the surface... ready to be netted.

With the striper safely on the pier, I quickly headed off for weighing. It would prove to measure 27.5 inches and 11.25 pounds... and enough to top the leaderboard... at least for a moment. 15 minutes later the last striper I'd see before heading home was paraded down the pier. It would weigh in at something over 8 pounds.

At about 7:30PM, with rain threatening... the night's chill creeping... and the voice of the wind rising... it was time to call it a day! I have no clue how many more fish will be caught thru midnight... or where they may weigh in. But I will say... the opportunity to have hit the leaderboard, however shortlived it may ultimately prove to have been, was "entirely awesome"!

Jim

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Nice!! Wish I could have made it. I was thinking it was Sunday for some reason. I couldn't make it out there today. Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
hi

when i left i was in 5th mr.jim i was packing up at the same time beside you in the parking lot. nice meating you .

nice fish!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
At 11:00pm, in the cold rain and howling wind, i got a screaming run on bunker. He weighed in at 26lb 8oz, 43in. ye ha! one fish all day but it was worth it. sorry jim but i think you made second and sharkboy finished out of the money.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 11:00pm, in the cold rain and howling wind, i got a screaming run on bunker. He weighed in at 26lb 8oz, 43in. ye ha! one fish all day but it was worth it. sorry jim but i think you made second and sharkboy finished out of the money.
Now that would be a fish that I could lose to with glee. Congratulations for an outstanding catch under difficult conditions!!

Jim

·
Registered
862 Posts
hey Jim

Congrats man .

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Great work guys. Congrats on you catches.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Cool! Good to know some folks on here went home with the bragging rights, and maybe some cool stuff too!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Nice report Jim, congrats on the nice fish.

Butch, congrats on the winner. That's a biggun for the pier.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Excellent job Jim! Congratulations!

You would think that since he owns and runs a computer company he could post a picture instead of a link in his thread!!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts