Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I gave seagull a try on friday, and I missed a few small bites and basically got skunked...but there was a bit of good news. I watched in vain as schools of up to 50 black drum in the 20 - 50+lb range circled below me among the rocks. I was fishing along the fence. I had fresh mullet&menhaden and shrimp, but I only had one come to sniff my bait and then go away. these fish were huge and thick I dropped my bait literally on their nose 20 or more times they just were not interested. I think if I had clam or crab I coulda got one. saw drum all day 100's

how to lose your mind in three easy steps.
1 go to pier with wrong bait
2 watch huge drum circle your bait for six hours
3 go home without getting fish

·
Registered
691 Posts
cast net????

Bummer dude!!! Maybe you should've just thrown a cast net at 'em!!! LOL There were reports of Black Drum at the 3rd island also, from divers with speargun's there....... it's been real Drummy all season..... Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I am with Zigh, or maybe even cannonballed a few on to shore. :p I think I would have been very frustrated if I was there and couldn't get em to bite. Can't believe you didn't get em off of shrimp. I catch plenty of em in FL in the rivers off of live shrimp. Of course if you did have the crabs you probably would of gotten some nice ones. Well now you know what you need next time. All you need is the fish to be there again.:D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I had my cast net in the car, but I dont think it would make it to the water. I started wondering if it was legal to bow and arrow fish there? there were so many that the wandering tourist even started gawking at them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Big (1oz) white bucktail with a 6 inch curley tail grub. Not that I have ever caught one cruising the islands but that is what I am told boy others that have.

Tom

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's like being set up on a blind date, finding out the joint is a (er) female entertainment establishment, and being stood up! only to sit there for about 6 hours and going home alone!!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, yes I know ..I did try jigs bucktails and DOA shrimp to no avail

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sometimes rockhead, they just ain't biting.:cool:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no gus these would have been world record sheeps or spades, they could have been reds, but I'm sure there blacks.. many fish in the 3+ foot range

·
Registered
197 Posts
there black drum that run around the rocks everyday from about 12pm -7pm and then the hang out at the weather station under the pier at night

duck or bleed i'm going out:barf:

·
Registered
291 Posts
man watching big black drum just cruise around my bait sure would kill me. Did you think about driving home buying crabs and then praying there still there?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
too much $$ 4 to get back on bridge, and at least 10 for bait . probably big enough fish that they would have worms ie catch and release

·
Registered
402 Posts
well sheepshead get pretty big and its hard to tell from way up on a pier. ended up with 8 citations boated today.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Every year they're there and very rarely does anyone hook up. I guess you could go out with peelers and hope for the best, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts