Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out at seagull from 7-11:30 with only a croaker to show for it. saw 5 stripers pulled up. mid 20s to the biggest pulled up in the low 30s. nice night out. seagulls were in close and u could see the stripers popping the top of the water. the big one was caught on cut croaker and the rest on storm shad.

dan lee

fish til it hurts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Topwater

The majority of the fish that came from out that way today, were caught on the surface or just underneath. A real nice topwater bite. I had them tear 2 sets of treble hooks off of one of my favorite lures....... They were merciless...... Glad no skunk for you

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's been about 7 years since I have fished the seagull pier. Do they still catch Tautog along the rocks and pilings this time of year. I remember catching nice Tog up to 5 lbs using fresh clams fished tight up against structure. I also remember losing quite a few lines on larger fish and in the rocks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
totally Tautog

There are plenty of Tautog around the CBBT right now, but the majority of folks have been after the Striper's. 2 weeks ago there were Tog's coming in nearly every fishable day from all the islands, and many citations. That said, I have not personally fished Seagull recently, and never for Tautog, but they should be in there pretty thick. I would use Fiddler crab if you can find them. We fished side by side with some folks who outfished us 5 to 1, Fiddler vs. Blue crab. Not heard of clam being used a lot as of late, only mention once or twice of clam/ blue crab combo's. Good Luck!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
14 Posts
What type of rig do you use when fishing for tog. Also, what size/type hooks are best to use?

Thanks,
dtw

·
Registered
691 Posts
Tog tackle

dtw- I've only fished for Tautog 3-4 times, so take this for what it's worth..... If your going to Tog fish from Seagull, here's how I would go about it. Hooks could be from #1 to 3/0 and they make a 'Blackfish' hook. Blackfish is another name for Tautog. If you can't find a Blackfish hook, then go with a sturdy, short shank hook that you like. As for the rig, there are several different one's, but I'd go with the single hook deal. You can put it on the top arm of your standard bottom rig using an 18" leader of at least 30lbs., or if going with pre-snelled hooks, you should be fine even though there only 12" or so. You can also tie your own rig like the bottom rig using a dropper loop. Although these are cheaper to make, they will get banged up in the rocks more than the metal store bought one's and you might break off a fish. As for weight, I'd go with 4 oz's. You need to be able to keep your bait in place, so adjust accordingly. The rod needs to have a sturdy but sensitive tip because these fellas have serious teeth, they nibble and pull on the bait, not really bite. You need to be able to feel there nibbles and set the hook hard. This also means you need to always hold the rod to feel the fish. If you cast out, set the rod down, and wait for a bite, you may be waiting a long time. This is 'hands on' fishing. That's not to say you may not get lucky, but if you actively feel the bait when dangling it around the bridge pilings or rocks you will have a lot greater shot at a fish. They aren't easy to catch. OK, so this is what I can pass along on this, I'm sure there are some guys here who can catch the heck out of Tog's so hopefully they will chime in?! Good Luck when you go!!
Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I need all the luck I can get. I may be able to go to Seagull next weekend. Are there any other places to fish for tog?

Dtw

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
dtw

I dont want to discourage you from toggin at seagull, but I have done qiute a bit of toggin there lately, It would definitly be a stretch to say the fish are thick out there. What you need to be prepared for is spending as much as 5-6 hours out there and you may only get a bite or two, and your not going to always get a hook into every bite. I always use fiddlers, as they are the best bait, but are hard to find as the weather gets cold. Also take at least four rods with 2 hook rigs on each(dont worry about the 2 rod max). put two on each side of the pier to see where the fish are. Also there are some good holes right by the sign and the light pole, try to drop your rig in between the rocks. On my last trip there was only one other guy toggin, he got there before me, as I got setup he hooked up with one that was @ 1 INCH TOO SHORT. I figured the bite was on, to my dismay I got no bites at all and left skunked 5 hrs later. He never got another bite either. Just dont expect miracles, you got to put in your time and you will get results. the other guys that togg there are almost always regulars and will help you out however they can. also I would go heavy on the sinker 5-8 oz. one other thing dont cast out, you just want to drop straight down otherwise you will loose\ all your rigs on the rocks. keep bouncing your rig up and down until it falls into a hole/crevice in the rocks, thats where the fish are..bank or inline sinkers get snagged the least. thats all I can think of right now good luck.

·
Registered
691 Posts
encouragement

http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/vi...9&id=90326&sr1=Tautog&sr2=&ExMth=no#post90326

Here's a report from a couple of weeks ago suggesting there are plenty of fish out there around the 1st island/ Seagull pier. Yes, these fellas fished from a boat, however, the fish are around. And, although the water has cooled off a good bit from then, they are still getting fish up north out of Jersey and Deleware. Sorry if I mislead you dtw, about the availability of fish from the pier. Put in some time around slack tide and you'll find 'em! I wouldn't suggest violating any of the rules or laws they have at the pier. They are there for a reason. Play fair and the fish gods will look out for you eventually. :D Fish On!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
691 Posts
citations

There were 13 citations weighed in for Tautog between 11/26 and 12/3..... Just more food for thought.......

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have \ all respect for you Zigh, but just from someone who has been there at the right tide with the right bait in the right wind, I just want dtw to understand that toggin is much harder than any other fishin I've done except for sheepsheadin, fishing in a boat at the \ 1st usually means fishing over the spine of the tube which is totally different from fishing the pier.and no offense to anyone but you can very safely fish as many or more than 4 rods at a time out there. I have spoke with the man many a time and have never been harassed about having more than 2 rods. DO NOT drink alcohol or curse excessively out there. as you will be repromanded very quickly. I can say that from experience. happy holidaze to all.

·
Registered
691 Posts
no worries

Thanx for the info.. I was just passing along what I could. I agree 110% that it's a hard game, Toggin'! I hope to do more of it in the spring. Is the Togging any better out there in the spring as opposed to fall/ winter rockhead? Just curious?! Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Im not sure, but the regulars out there seem to agree that mid october is the best time to get them off the pier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't see how more than one rod would help as you definitely have to keep line taught to feel for nibble. From my experience the thing to do is jerk your rod on the second nibble you feel. One nibble he's there, second nibble he's on the bait and will be gone with it in a flash. A second rod could be set up as backup for lost rigs...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sometimes they do hook themselves, the last one I saw caught there, I had to tell the guy he had a fish on cause he had his back turned and was talking..uh hey your rod is doubled over pal.
I usually hold on to the rod I think is in the best place/hole, and keep an eye for the 1st nibble on all the rest. sometimes the rod will double over and by the time you grab the pole its gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts