Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seabass, how did you do? (Sorry about the bad
weather) did he get you out to the seabass?
No pun intended!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Talapia,
To say the least yesterday was a beautuful day. We got to the fish and nobody was out there but us. We all had our limit by 11:30. I caught 5 blues in the neighorhood of 24" long. I had about 12 seabass in th 14-15" range because I wasn't keeping anything less than that, but when the Captain said he was going to pull out soon because a lot of people had their limit , I started keeping smaller ones. Then we went and fished for croakers. I caught about 12 ,one was 17". Captain Monty was bragging that he caught his limit of seabass, using only a bare hook. My buddy caught a few that way also. Those big #13 circle hooks give off a lot of flash. I caught them with cut bait(butterrfish or squid), and a small hopkins spoon and small diamond jig.

Captain Monty and his crew were A-1, no complaints there. I like to clean my fish there ,beacuse when I come home ,I want to be finished with fish and fishing. I work in the hotel industry and the guest is the most important person and you make them feel welcome at all times. I work in DC and the hotel where I work rooms start at $329.00/night. OC is hotel just on a larger scale it survives beacuse of the people that visit there. There's awoman down there that cleans fish and I think the OC Tourist Association needs to remind her that those 7and 8 mile Bay Bridge backups on Friday's in the summer, are not people from Ocean City trying to get home. Anyway I'm just one person and she's just one person and neither one of us is going to make a heck of an amount of difference anyway. I'm barbecuing a couple of bluefish filets, this evening. That is probably it for me this year althogh a Tog trip out of Lewes is tempting

Seabass

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seabass, thanks for the report! I am
glad that you had good weather. For
some reason I thought the forecast was
calling for rain and winds. I have learned
to catch my 25 first with a size limit of 12.5
inches (taking shrinkage into account) and
then once I get my 25 there are always
people who are not even close to theirs.
I will keep on catching and if I get one that
is a really nice size fish, I will keep that one
and give them a smaller fish. ( I give all other
keepers away also) It is good for everyone
involved, I help people get closer to their
limit rather than throwing the fish back
and upgrade the quality of my fish. I have seen
a lot of folks start off with a high size standard
and then end up not getting the limit. I drive
from Ft Meade MD the night before and rent
a room, that is too much money and driving
not to come home with my 25 fish. Smile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts