Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Savage's Ditch turnout on Monday, using frozen mullet from Old Inlet. On the outer bar I hooked up with the biggest sea robin I have ever seen, easily 18-20" and about 3-4 pounds. Not thinking much more of it I tossed it back, rebaited and hit the bar again. In comes his younger brother, a bit shorter and lighter, but not much. Made a blue can aided decision to give it a shot in House-Autry. Turned out to be a nice white meat with a decent flavor. So, if all you are catching is sea robin, give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Savages Ditch

Did you have your truck on the beach or did you walk on? See anything else caught? Gotta watch those "blue cans"...Sea Robin is real good Flounder bait and now we know that it's good table fare also. Thanks for the report...hitting the surf down there this Sat. 11/01/03.:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was with my dad and we took his jeep on the beach, left about half way between the ramp and life saving station. We also caught skates, a few bluefish and a dogfish. Hoping for the striped ones, but no joy.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Check out bassbarn.com..the stripers have been blitzing the point at SandyHook NJ..could be here soon..also the stripers are very thick inthe Del Bay rips right now..it's only a matter of time.:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Damn, you can eat those things??? Can I tell you how many thousands of those I've thrown back off of NYC/LI party boats while fishing for Fluke or Blues????

BTW, Hat, we going fishing tonight?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I must of caught about 200 sea robins this year and I've been told and read that it is very good table fare I just can't bring myself to eat one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts