Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well.... as scientific as i could get.
i finally got the time to do the tests and here is how it went. all tests were done with suffix tri-17lb. to 50lb ande shock. i got a scale that is accurate and has a needle that stays at the weight where the line broke, so this should be relatively accurate. i did 3 tests of every knot, and if i had a fluke break or something, i would exclude it from the results. i should also mention that i only tested knots that i am good at tying. and only tested them if they looked perfect. i also left long tag ends, because i just wanted to test the knot.here are the averages.

17lb suffix-tri to ande 50lb

just suffix(no knots)-------------24.33lb

improved allbright(10 wraps)---17.00lb

spiderhitch to no-name----------21.83lb

overhand to uni------------------11.66lb

interesting thing is how consistent the knots were. in the 3 tests of each knot the biggest variance was only 1.5lbs. the allbright broke dead on 17lb every time.
allbright would break at the knot everytime, spiderhitch to no-name broke about 1/8in above the hitch every time, so in tying the knot you weaken the running line to the point where the knot is stronger, and trust me i spit all over these knots, and was extra careful. the overhand to uni was weird. the overhand(under pressure) would "roll" just a little, and break at the overhand everytime.

also, if there are any knots you would like me to test just let me know. but if you want me to test the bimini twist, tie it yourself and mail it to me. ;)

--------------------
Note from sand flea: This is a very long thread. There's some good stuff in here, but Openboat was kind enough to write a summary that pulls everything together at the very end of this thread.
--------------------

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Spider hitch to no-name, that's how I tie all my rigs.
Thanks for the info.:)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Just wondering how many turns you made with the spider. I'm not sure it matters from what you're saying about where the line broke. Just wondering. I use 3 turns on mine with both 17lb and 20lb line.

Can you try a three turn spider to a four turn nail (main line) to a three turn uni with the shock?

That's the DD way. ;)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Just wondering how many turns you made with the spider. I'm not sure it matters from what you're saying about where the line broke. Just wondering. I use 3 turns on mine with both 17lb and 20lb line.

Can you try a three turn spider to a four turn nail (main line) to a three turn uni with the shock?

That's the DD way. ;)
4 turnes on the spiderhitch.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Nice test. It's good to see someone test knots having tested the breaking strength of the line first. I remember a test that Sportfishing or Saltwater Sportsman did where they just tested knots...and ended up with knots that test out over the stated breaking strength of the line.

I'm curious, how did you test the strength of the line itself? Did you wrap it around something?

I want you to test the BT, but I don't have any Sufix. How about I send you 20 or 30 yards of the line I normally use (Cabela's Salt Striker) along with 5 BT-No Names with the tag ends left long on both running line and shock leader, and standing end trimmed to 2 yards?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to test the line i wraped it(no knots)

ok, im going to go for the bt to noname, wish me luck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
20 turn bimibi twist to no-name

22.83lbs

it broke just above the twist. once again the knot held, but in synching it down you weaken the line because of friction. i guess the BT just does less damage to the running line than the SH does.

ps- i put one of the poorly twisted BT in the scale for s*#ts and giggles, and it didnt seem to effect its strength.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Now the next question is just how much drag pressure does everyones fishing reel have :confused:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well shooter, since i have my scale rigged to the celling i will give it a shot:)

·
Banned
2,501 Posts
Am I interpreting the data correctly in that just the 17 lb. Suffix had the highest breaking strength?

I am assuming this test is for when you are "fighting" a fish . . . and not for casting b/c I don't think the forces work the same on the same piece of line when you are casting.

Thanks for doin' the test Mr. Norris.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I know that most fishing lines that are not IGFA certified break above the rated strength.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Now the next question is just how much drag pressure does everyones fishing reel have :confused:
Well, I tested my abu 6500 with the carbontex washer. I turned the drag star till I couldn't turn anymore w/out breaking something. I could barely pull the line out, and the scale went for a little over 9lbs.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
525mag

with the drag tightened as hard as i could get it, and with a full spool.

pulling slowly------10lbs

fast yank-----------12lbs

penn555

slow pull---------12lbs

fast yank---------15lbs

this goes against what the manufacturer says, but i saw these results with my own eyes.

also after a cast your spool wont be full, so those numbers will go up. lucky for me i have another 525 with about 100yds of line off of it.

penn525(after 100yd cast)

slow pull-------12lbs

fast yank-------14lbs

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
A reel with 13lbs of drag is a hoss.
You have to factor in the friction from the guides as well.
I stick with the Spider to No-Name.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I interpreting the data correctly in that just the 17 lb. Suffix had the highest breaking strength?

I am assuming this test is for when you are "fighting" a fish . . . and not for casting b/c I don't think the forces work the same on the same piece of line when you are casting.

Thanks for doin' the test Mr. Norris.
your right, i only did the test on sufix-tri to get a number to see how much the knot weakens the line. and during the cast the shock leader should take all the stress.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
So what I am seeing is the best drag only goes to 15 Lbs and the Albright goes to 17 Lbs.

So now I don't feel so bad when that Nuclear sub with teeth spooled my 7500 *with carbonex drag washers tightened all the way down and 4 layers of my thumb till I had to double thumb it and break him off.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what I am seeing is the best drag only goes to 15 Lbs and the Albright goes to 17 Lbs.

So now I don't feel so bad when that Nuclear sub with teeth spooled my 7500 *with carbonex drag washers tightened all the way down and 4 layers of my thumb till I had to double thumb it and break him off.
that is one of the things i was trying to figure out. if your knot and line can out perform your drag, then the weakest link is your rod.
but like Digger said, there are a few more factors to consider, like guides. and i have had cheeper reels where the drag would stick at first.
i would take the rod and reel out, and tie the line to my truck, but im scared id break my rod.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts