Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
absolutely you can, I have caught many, not but a few the size of the ones at OBX but I have caught many, biggest was last year at 28lbs. Key is to find the bait and make sure the water temps are right. The bigger fish move in and spawn when the water is around 57 degrees, I like to fish for them when they are moving out of the creeks after spawning. Since they are very lethargic while they spawn, they are very hungry when they leave.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
not really no, the bluefish are the biggest problem

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ah, I bet. Do you have lots of cutoffs or small ones aggravating you?
both, they gnaw up the line causing you to have to re-tie a lot.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I used 60 or 80 fluorocarbon it lets the bait move a little easier than 100 or 130

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
usually about 4-6 inches, the swivel, then bead, then snap swivel with weight. lets you cast it a long way with little helicopter effect.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
First drum I ever saw was caught off the Surfside pier. 28-29 in, was miffed when they said it was too big to keep. Didn't know anything about the fish or regs then. That's been some 10 years or so ago. I do recall it being in Oct. Don't recall the rig or bait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dudes, 100lb and 130lb flouro?????? What are you trying to catch, a tanker????
I have never used over 17lb suffix mono at OBX, with a 50lb shock leader which is the standard set up. Using a Fishfinder rig, 8oz weight and a chunk of Bunker and there is no problem with the big Drum. Largest I've caught was a 48" but you can pull slot pups and bigger in all day and it's like reeling in a spot.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dudes, 100lb and 130lb flouro?????? What are you trying to catch, a tanker????
I have never used over 17lb suffix mono at OBX, with a 50lb shock leader which is the standard set up. Using a Fishfinder rig, 8oz weight and a chunk of Bunker and there is no problem with the big Drum. Largest I've caught was a 48" but you can pull slot pups and bigger in all day and it's like reeling in a spot.
When the toothys come out to play, and you get tired of losing your rigs, you'll get the idea!

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't think so. People have the sinker inches away from the bait, with big hooks and swivels. I would fish with a heavy mono if you're worried about toothy fish though. 130 should handle any blues we get around here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.