Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all and greetings from PA, a long way from the surf. I often frequent Riversmallies.com, and I had a question about surffishing, and one of the regulars sent me here. Seems like a great site with a ton of "good guys"

I'm 41 years old, a compleat fishing addict who can't spell worth a darn. I have a wonderfull girlfriend(BC) who loves to fish as much as I do. I work full time as a bartender and own/operate a bait&tackle shop on a parttime basis(my shop )
I live, work and play on the banks of the Susquehanna and Juniata rivers, where I regulary chase smallmouth bass, walleye and waterfowl.

Many years ago, I got the bright idea to get married. Well the ex-wife wanted to go to the shore. I hate crowds, thus I hated the beach. Then, looking through some books, I found the OB.
Well, to make a long story short, she had a misserable time and I discovered surffishing.
I've made about 50 trips to the banks since then, and hope to add several more this fall/winter.

I am looking forward to having the chance to learn more about this great sport and being able to pick up some tips.
I'm sorry to say that I am far from being an expert in the salt, but will try to offer insight whenever I can.
Thanks in advance to all and have a great season......byron

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Welcome to the site, Byron. Glad to have you aboard. You've arrived just in time for the best fishing of the year. :cool:

·
Registered
823 Posts
welcome to the crew byron

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome Byron/PA, It's nice that you have a friend to tell you about this site,don't worry about spelling half of the guys and gals here can't spell but all are fine fishermen and fisherwomen,you'v come to the right place,myself found out alot of information from these people. We have some outtings coming up this month like(clean up the Choptank pier,Point Lookout State Park surf fishing contest)(next Sat.) and then Indian River Inlet clean up, it's to show DNR that we care what our piers,beachs and so on look like(Oct. clean up) if you can find the time and come out and check us out. There will be people there that can show you how too's.TRIGGER

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Greetings From CT too Glad you are a part of shore family.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Welcome to the board Byron, like the guys said you've come to the right place. For the better part of 50 yrs. I fished for smallies in the upper Patpsco River, it was like a religion. Then one day while surfing the internet I came across this site and read about catching croakers at the Choptank Pier. Well the rest is history. Our forum is like a family and we try to fish together when possible and distance doesn't seem to matter. We've had get togethers with folks coming from VA, DC, PA, DE and MD. So, again welcome and read some of posts about up coming clean-ups at the Choptank (The Tank) and Indian River (IR). Yes, there are some gals on the forum who participate in the get togethers so your girl friend would fit right in.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Welcome Byron, and other than Frank (edit, speaking of spelling) who wrote the book on surf fishing, none of us are experts at the beach thing, but on the positive side, as long as we can cast 8nbait, we got something to learn. AI:p

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome, neighbor

I live just down the road a bit.

Always glad to meet new friends.

We don't deduct points for Spelling, Grammar or Syntax.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Byron / PA!

Back when I had joints that could take it, my favorite way of fishing was sneakers-and-shorts wading for smallmouths in the Schuylkill River and Perkiomen Creek. When the PA Fish Commission decided to allow river bass fishing year-round, I had to use my trout waders in the Spring and enjoyed stumbling through the high water. I think one of the reasons I like tog fishing so much is that - like smallies - the blackfish hide around rocks. The same rule applies: If you're not getting snagged up occassionally, you're not where the fish are.

This old body won't take that kind of fishing anymore, so I spend a lot of time on piers, bulkheads, and jetties (and I'm getting spoiled by the "comfort" of a big boat.) I'll hopefully make it to the Outer Banks some day and do some surf fishing again. But I found a home here two years ago, and I'm sure you will, too!

Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Welcome

Welcome aboard! I too am an old smallie fisherman. I have fished the Brandywine River in Wilmington, De for the last fifteen years. The OBX are great, as soon as my three year old can fish I will be making an annual family pilgrimage. Tight Lines Too All! Murphman :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
EX

wives make me :barf: greetings BYRON/ PA I cant spell to gud ethr :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
byron. welcome from de. we don't worry to much except when it comes to our fishin.it's starting to get better here in de. the nullet are bunching up for the run , and the rock[stripers] are waiting for them. come on down.:cool: :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts