Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to stop the overharvesting of menhaden by commercial trawlers, go to savethefish.org and participate in the online petition, you can donate $$ if you want or just give your name address etc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ahhh A fellow Saltwater sportsman reader.. I have sent my support.. Stop raping our baitfish! Save the bay foundation is another good one to contribute to..

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I went to the site to support as well!

That striper I caught tonight had a big belly full of baby menhaden when I cleaned him!

Dixie

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Saltwater sportsman Dec Issue:
Picked it up at the grocery store when I saw the local Striper articles inside. Great article on the exposure of the menhaden factories up in Reedsville. I always wondered who lived in those big houses up on the river over there.

More articles:
Any Dave Barry fans? He wrote an article on the herring farting as a way to communicate! Funny. It was in this past Sunday's VA Pilot. I think it was Sandflea that posted the link to the original story on the OPEN Forum.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It seems like every year the same subject comes up about this time because we're all fishing mainly for Striper and the Menhaden boys are out there doing their thing raping the bay of the baitfish. We all need to do whatever we can to continue to bring this to the public eye. It's always been the Us (Sport-fishermen) vs. them(Commercials) and as we do it for fun they do it for a living. I certainly don't think we need to put an entire industry out of business, but I for one get tired of them not wanting or trying to find some middleground on this issue. Termination-no, regulation-HE!! yes!! Money talks and the commercials spend plenty of it tainting the minds of our elected officials, but we as a group can do the same thing whether we're Sportfishermen just out to have fun or a Tackle shop owner or Marina operator out to make a living. Sign the petitions, go to the VMRC mettings or do whatever you can , lets just not be the "silent majority"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts