Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm all for conservation. I want future generations to,at the very least,have the wildlife we have today.

But what I want to know is can ya eat um'? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres a pic I took of the Boys rounding up their date for the evening. :D

Come get ya some .:p

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I think that's great they're coming back. If they want them taken off the endangered list, that means they're on their way.

Always wanted to see one...but dear Lord are they ugly.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah it seems it has everyone in a buzz down there about this subject. They are actually pretty cool, they will come up beside the boat and check you out. Along with the porpoises they like to ride the small wake you make with the boat when in the back creeks. But yes not one of the prettiest in the sea!:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think this is the first attempt to have manatees taken of the endangered list - lobbyist have been attempting this for years. It's apparently nothing more than one more attempt by big industries ('boating rights advocates' mainly, but unfortunately some fishing as well) thinking it will improve their recreational sales.

I'm definitely not against boaters being able to enjoy the lagoon - but this has more to do with lobbying, politics, and who has the most money and very little to do with reality. Previous changes won by boaters groups have impacted already established environmental laws that protect other species in Florida as well (the Florida Panther is one). And it is all part of an attempt to remove the speed and access restrictions placed on boaters...

I say let the chips fall where they may - but base any changes in environmental law on reality and scientific knowledge rather than letting special interest groups dictate law.

Sorry to rant, I'm just sick of seeing so much done in the name of profits and politics while ignoring reality - it's a problem that's rampant when it comes to the environment.

By the way, I'm not a Green Peace clown (sorry if I insult anyone who is) and I don't own any Save The Manatee T-shirts... I'm just disgusted at how all this is playing out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts