Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all out there. this is my first post. I have stumbled on this site and i believe it may be the best one for me. I didnt think there were any sites in md that didnt have all boat fishermen! My dilema is that i just moved here from md not long ago. I usually fish the bridges and jetties in nj. Its a 3 hour ride up then 3 hour ride back. i cant take it. could someone pls tel me where i can fish for stripers and weakies (trout?) in the chesapeake? I have been posting my as* off trying to get some info but most people are fishing from boats. I am willing to drive anywhere in md. I thought that the chesapeake bay was not salty enough but i am beginning to see that i was wrong. I will repay for info in any way i can. perhaps someone needs good jersey spots?? I usually wade fish or fish on and under bridges. is there any area around here that i will get good action on stripers 22 inches and above?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Read the posts on Matapeake pier. Lots of stripers being caught at night on bloodworms. Season has not started yet so it is catch and release.

Please be kind to the stripers and use circle hooks. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are lots of good places to fish around here. Click on the hotspot link to the left of the page.

There is a lot of experience on this board and when the fish start biting it will start hopping around here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to best site in the net...
Oh by the way...." NOT SALTY ENOUGH"?????
Wait till you hook on to one of those bluefish or stripers over 7 pouns.While boat anglers have some advantage when comes to mobility but if you follow reports from this web site and do some studying,,Why buy a boat?..... :D If you have some time next week perhaps we can hook up at meatapeake,,It's a C&R but 45"striper on 17 pound test.......trust me! It's salty enough..... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work in largo md and i am already planning on checking the pier out. catch and release is all i do anyway so that doesnt bother me much. I usually only fish plastics- are they hitting these too? it would be nice to only drive 40 minutes! i hear its gonna rain for two days but maybe its still worth going???

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings weakie!

Welcome to the MD board! (No wonder the NJ board is dead -- all the NJ fishermen are moving to MD!) I live in Philly and have fished the Jersey shore for thirty some years, but I think you're going to find out that NJ fishing just can't compare to the Chesapeake Bay. These guys have it all! Looking forward to rubbing elbows with you on the Choptank Bridge/Pier. Plastics will work just fine, but you're gonna HAVE to try livelining a spot at least once....

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
MJ,

You HAVE TO come down during the months of July/August and do some night time fishing at AI for sharks. Talk about fun!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome Weakie,on this site you will learn alot about the Bay and the people you meet on the piers & surf,just like Manayunk Jake he knows what he's talking about when it comes to livelining,although I haven't met the man but will some day and catman I have fished with last year,very interesting person(in a good way)the tank(Choptank) is a great place to fish and to meet people from pier&surf and learn.Point Lookout(SP) pier is another good place,but the action starts there when the BIG Crocker start to run in mid-April at nite and there is always some rock (Striper) mixed in with them,so I named two good spots,but there's more on the Hot Spots site.
:D :D TRIGGER

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys i just wanted to say,"thank you". I really appreciate the info more then you could know. Like i said, i am new to area and it is sometimes hard to get situated. I hope i will learn the techniques in md because to be honest with you, i thought that it was only good for freshwater species unless you hit the coast off of the atlantic which is why i drive to nj every weekend. Thanks again guys! :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Weakie,
Just wait till things heat up a tiny bit more. You'll have more information about EVERYTHING being spoon-fed to you. This site is simply the best! Got the best folks, just wait and see.

Soapfish

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We'll show you how to catch the big one :D .Cape Henlopen is a good place to try plastics in May if the weather is nice.I caught Weakfish using the same lures I use for Walleyes.I hope to see you there ;) .

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Yo Sandcrab! Shark fishing sounds great! Other than a 4 foot doggie I landed in CT, I've only hooked two "big" sharks in my life. The first was in the surf at N. Wildwood (NJ), and he tried his best to tow me into the waves before snapping the line (I was only using 12# test at the time - but hey, I was only 16 years old!) The second shark hit a big piece of sea robin belly on a wreck off Barnegat Light (NJ), and ran me to the bow before the 20# test abraided on his skin. I always carry 25 feet of wire and a 9/0 hook in case a shark shows up (and I rarely use less than 30# test these days in big water.) I just hope those famous AI skeeters are napping when I get there....

Yo TRIGGERFISH! You're making me blush here! Of course, a build up like that is a sure way to guarantee a skunking should we all hit the bridge/pier on the same night. Actually John (jangwuah) was on the 'tank one night last year when I livelined up a fat rock -- we just didn't know each other. This year I have a P&S hat, so I'll be flying my colors for all to see.

Yo weakie! I'm sure by now you can see your in good hands here. By the time Fall rolls around, making a run up to Jersey just to fish will sound silly. As I said before, the Chesapeake Bay has it all! And living in MD puts you r-e-a-l close to legendary surf spots like AI and the OBX (you'll learn the abbreviations.) Just remember, down here a striper is a rock, weakies are trout, croakers are hardheads, and oyster crackers are mother-in-law fish (Thank God a blue is still a blue, they're just meaner!)

Hoping all you guys that decided to hit Metapeake tonight have a good night. Remember to take pics and post your results!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Jakeman...

Looks like only you and I are awake (I'm military and got called to work to support our troops) tonight otherwise I would be at Matapeake C&R "ing" stripers tonight. :)

Didn't hear to much about stripers out at AI so far this year...But Matapeake is really hot! Let me know if you decide to stop in and pay us a visit!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Sandcrab!

Metapeake (or just about any MD spot) would have to be an overnighter, and there's no room in the budget for that this month. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the fish up here to wake up. The stripers should be moving up the Delaware soon (there are probably schoolies hitting already), and I really want to ambush a fat cow, hold her up long enough to burn her into my memory (and take a few pics for when my memory fails!) Once I get the big cow out of the way, the next fish is a big bull red drum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Weakie, I have been fishing for over 20 yrs and over the past year or so, I have learned so much more about the sport from these guys. Keep your eye on these posts and you'll be a pro in no time. This is the best group you will find anywhere. I wish you the best of luck fishing this year and maybe we'll even meet on the water sometime!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts