Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon buying a Carolina Cast Pro 11' 2-5 oz. spinning rod. Planning to put a Shimano Saragosa 8000SW on it? I know that I will be very happy with the rod. Any input on the reel choice. And I do not want to spend over $500.00 for a spinning reel. Would like to hear from others who may have this combo or reel......Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Penn spinfisher would be my choice, but to each there own. If you want better distance akios scora are nice. I have one for almost a year now and like it a lot. I don't wade with it, if I was going to wade I'd go with the penn.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You can still get stradic FJ's in 8k size. They are a little lighter and cheaper. The new penn clash that's coming out looks nice. Seems to have much higher quality gearset than cheaper penn spinners. A 6k size penn holds similar amount of line as an 8k shimano.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think the conflict is a useless reel in my opinion. The 5k and bigger conflicts with aluminum rotor are literally just a battle with a different handle that has an extra bearing in it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm using the Saragosa 6000 SW on Tommy's 10' rod. Great combo. If you go with the Saragosa SW (or Spheros SW) you're getting a sealed real with better internals (gears) then you'll get with the Penn reel. The downside is that the Saragosa is heavier and bulkier since it's not all metal. Check out Alan Hawks review of the Spheros SW. I also have the 8000 Spheros SW on Tommy's 12'. I went with the Saragosa on the 10' due to the faster retrieve for metal lures. My $0.02.

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you for the replies. I will buy the reel early next year......gunna wait to see what Alan Hawk has to say about the Clash

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the Saragosa is a great reel. I will throw out there though you could put the Shimano Thunnus in the mix. Then you would get the secondary drag and the bait clicker feature as well. The 8000 Thunnus is a bit lighter even though it will hold just a bit less line. Just throwing it in for arguments sake. I love the baitrunner feature for surf fishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts