Pier and Surf Forum banner

Sandy Point

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Sandcrab 
#1 ·
Okay, so I know you Sandy Point guys are always tight-lipped about the spring striper season there. But I remember hearing from some of you (after the fact, of course) that you were cleaning up on 30"+ stripers in late March and early April. Has anyone done catch and release there this year?

#2 ·
i live like 50 minutes from there~
I really can not recall anyone catching
big o stripers there..but I did hear and
saw pictures from there.. and I saw biggest
striper I ever seen came out of metapeake pier which is just a 5 minute drive from there cross the bay.. I think it was 48 pounds... by the way.. when is spring season in the bat for strpers..don't they only allow catch and release during winter months? :confused:

#5 ·
Good to see familiar names here. Haven't been down there this year yet but am looking forward to many trips to SP this year.

Currently I am getting my gear together for a trip to Indian River Inlet on Easter weekend.

Mcrea- good to see you here and I hope all is well with you and yours :)

#6 ·
Sand Flea, I am dying to know the same thing. With North Beach not what it used to be Sandy Point and Metapeake are the closest places for me.
The DNR guy told me last year they cleaned up on big stripers from the beach in April. Only I can't remember exactly when in april--I think it was the end though.
I'm gonna lube my reels and spool my line this weekend. Won't be long now. Even found out a buddy of mine who lives really close likes to fish anbd just bought a penn surf rod. Looks like I found someone to go fishing with.

Anyway SandFlea, I'm planning on fishing SP Monday April 29 (my bday) and possibly April 27 (although I'm thinking about catching a headboat one of these days).

#8 ·
Sunday, April 28 is the annual Bay Bridge Walk, along with the morning race. This year it is also the restart of the Volvo Cup Ocean Race from Sandy Point. The MDTA website has details. From a fishing point of view, its a great day to fish somewhere else, preferably nowhere near Route 50 or the Bay Bridge. I'll be leaving for Fenwick on that Saturday, heading home on Monday, when the traffic might be starting to clear!!!

#15 ·
HEY SANDFLEA I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS YEAR BUT MATAPEAKE WAS THE TICKET DURING PRE AND OPEN TROPHY SEASON.SANDY POINT WAS OK I USED BELIEVE IT OR NOT 1/0 OSHAUGHNESSY WITH BLOOD WORM COVERING THE WHOLE HOOK AND DANGLING 1/4" OFF. CAUGHT 34" PLUS COWS 17 POUND STREN EXTRA STRENGTH LINE BREAK RATING AT 28LBS PLUS. I AM SELLING KILLER SURF GEAR.VANSTAAL VS250 GOLD IN MINT CONDITION WITH BOX AND COVER I HAVE A VS300 AND A VS200 SO THE 250 IS SITTING.ALSO A PENN 8500 WITH A SEA-LINEX 12' GOOD CONDITION. I ALSO HAVE 2 ROD CARRIERS FROM BASS PRO SHOPS THEY FIT UP TO 15' LENGTH IS 7' WITH ZIPPERS AND HOLD DOWNS TOTALLY ENCLOSED TO PROTECT YOUR RODS.ALSO A DIAWA BG-30 MINT CONDITION. DAMN NO WONDER MY WIFE IS PISSED .TOO MUCH GEAR!! E-MAIL ME IF INTERESTED AT NCL751@AOL.COM :D

#16 ·
All,

Small stripers were chasing baitfish on the jetties at Sandy Point early Saturday morning. I followed the gulls and caught three smallies (12"->14") - All were released. They all took a saltwater Zara Spook 3/4 oz.

The fish are coming in! :)

#18 ·
All,

Just talked to the DNR at Sandy Point at their phone number (410) 974-2149. They are currently open from 6 AM until dusk. This will change mid-May (15th maybe) when they will be open 24/7 for fisherman and boaters. Price now is $1.00 per car...When they go 24/7 the price changes...it becomes $1.00 per car BEFORE 6 AM and $3.00 per car after 6 AM...get there early...the boats arrive around 5:30 AM and there can be a long line during the summer months...
:)

#23 ·
Went to SP yesterday from 11a-5p, beautifull day, only two fisherman in the entire beach, and no fishes. Was using bucktails, plastic shads, plastic worms. Their is no bait yet at the bending machine nor the shop until the end of this weekend. Hope it gets better soon. Any luck with anyone lately?

#24 ·
All,

Remember that you will not be able to get into SP until the DNR guys open the gate at 0600...lots of boaters willl be lined up too...bet this will happen around 5:00 AM. I am steering clear of SP until later on in the day...

FYI - DNR at Sandy Point phone number is (410) 974-2149. They are currently open from 6 AM until dusk. This will change mid-May (15th maybe) when they will be open 24/7 for fisherman and boaters. Price now is $1.00 per car...When they go 24/7 the price changes...it becomes $1.00 per car BEFORE 6 AM and $3.00 per car after 6 AM...get there early...the boats arrive around 5:30 AM and there can be a long line during the summer months...

Sandcrab :eek: :eek: :eek:

#25 ·
All,

Correction....starting Saturday April 20th, they will charge $4.00 per car...24/7 operation starts May 11th...

FYI - you can buy a year pass for $60.00...no more stopping for the dollar machine...just punch in your code and go through...pass available at the SP park building (before the gate on the road to the left)...

Amazing huh? They know everyone and their mother will be out Saturday for striper season and that's when the price increase happens... :mad:

I'll be off to Matapeake late Friday night to beat the crowds...Maybe Mr. Striper will visit me in the early AM before the crowds arrive :) :)

Sandcrab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.