Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about fishing Sandy Point this sunday, does anyone know if there is anything biting right now? Also where is a good spot, it's been a few years since I've fished there. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey rex, Try to look up in hot spots

Picture posted in hot spots produces real nice fish. Just make sure your weight is heavy enough to hold the bottom when tide is on the move. I also recommend rock jetty
on your right side as you enter the park early in the morning with lures. It seems like there's always small school of srripers around. Try not to snag one of those swimmers near by :D

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
See my post "Opening day at SPSP". The park has been producing some nice stripers during the catch-and-release season.

For opening day - get there early. :)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I'm not bluefish, so I can't answer which one he was talking about, but don't you mean the lower right hand corner of the map? That's the jetty by the bay bridge isn't it?

I have always done best at SPSP fishing about 20 yards to the left of the fenced in tree on the fishing beach. There is a nice hole there.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I think Bluefish is referring to thhe jetty that is located to the left of the small boat launching area (top of map). IMHO - It the jetty of choice. The one near the boat entrance (lower right corner), has produced some nice stripers for me in the early AM before the boaters start parading through.

If there are baitfish in the water I would use a teaser combo. Real easy to make. Tie 24" of 30 lb test line to a swivel. At the bottom attach a 1 1/4 ounce Stingsilver (Silver or silver/blue colors work really well). On the swivel, attach 12" of 50 mono (cinch knot works well) and put on a white bucktail teaser (Clouser minnow, deceiver, etc. The more flash-a-bou that it contains, the better). Make sure the teaser sticks out from the swivel. The intent is to make it look like a small baitfish being chased by a larger baitfish. ;)

Now cast out and retrieve in short, quick, bursts. Sometimes, you can catch two stripers at once. :)

No baitfish in the water - bloodworms or clam snouts.

Good luck and may the force be with you during the opening day crazzies! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Husky: Thanks--yeah, I meant lower right-hand corner. When you refer to the "fishing beach," do you mean what's at the top of the map (in other words, to the left of the small sailboat launching area)?

Sandcrab: Thanks as well. Not that I'm planning on heading out on opening day, just trying to collect information for when I do get to go out.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Well, no. I refer to the area to the right of what it calls the small craft launching area. The map isn't really to scale.
Basically, there is a swimming beach and to the left of the beach is the fishing beach. Then there is a curve (90 degree type curve) and the land goes perpendicular to the fishing beach. Over there is another small jetty as I recall and a place where you can launch small craft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts