Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals!

I'll be down your way on business this month from 6-9 October. Would like to do some Norfolk/Va Beach fishing. I'll be driving down so I can bring my jetty rod/reel setup (9' rod/30 lb braid, 1-3 oz). Intend on doing some lure fishing.

Anyone got any tips/areas I should try? I arrive in the afternoon of the 6th and leave real early on the 9th.

Really would like to do some fishing with some Pier and Surf regulars! ;)

Drop me an email or PM. I have access to military bases. :)

Sandcrab

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Sandcrab, don't know if I'll be able to get to that side of th water th days you will be down but I'll let ya know. I haven't had time lately to do any scouting but I'm sure someone here will know th deal.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll see you on the water. I should have on my Pier and Surf hat and T shirt.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Sandrab the storm and cooler weather we've had here has started to turn on the fish. I wouldn't say we're in the offical "fall-run" but it's starting to get warm (not yet hot).I personally can tell you the Lesner is getting better and have read/heard that the CBBT @ Chix is doing the same. I typically fish before work (0430-0630) so if you're interested shoot me a B-mail.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*BRANDON* said:
Norfolk naval station has a nice pier with lights...The trout and stripers should be out in full force.
Brandon,

Where on Navsta Norfolk is the pier located? Near the fleet piers, air station side, sub side near Burger King?

I will be coming from Little Creek hotel so I will probably shoot up Shore Drive/Ocean View (old stomping grounds), up to the Air Gate entrance (Gate 4?).

Any place to fish on NAB Little Creek?

How much does it cost to fish off the CBBT pier?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I bring my waders?

Any good wading spots that I can fish using waders and lure casting?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Both of the places I was refering to are wader type spots to sand bar/drop-off fishing holes. Walking off the beach 50-60yds. with light tackle to hook-up with some good sized fish.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

Thanks. I know where the piers and the baseball fields are located on NAVSTA so it shouldn't be too hard to locate.

Might check it out on Monday afternoon after I arrive.

Sandcrab

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your help..

Thanks for all the help with the fishing spots, lures, and directions during my visit.

Results:

Tuesday Night - Chick's Beach 7-10 PM - Nice, cool night for wading (Thanks H2CAG for directions and lure selection). Caught some snapper blues on large (1-1/2 oz) blue Rat-L-Traps. Water was rough and dirty but the Rat-L-Traps got their attention.

Wednesday Eve - Rudee Inlet - 4-6 PM. Inlet area was jamming with people so I fished the beach area. Caught a couple of blues on blue Stingsilvers. Under the bridge, saw one legal striped bass (21") and a few spot caught on cut bait.

Got to see the damage done to the Va beach pier...Wow! :eek:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Under the bridge, saw one legal striped bass (21") and a few spot caught on cut bait.
Here's a question. If it was caught 'inside' Rudee Inlet, is that considered legal (min. ocean striper has to be 32", right?). Anybody know what the rule is?

Sandcrab - Glad you could get to Chic's - too bad the stripers didn't cooperate. Come down in November and they should be thick.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chest2head&glassy said:
...Come down in November and they should be thick.
Sorry - They will be thick here too! Looking for the elusive cow bass from Indian River Inlet (DE) this year!

Had a good time talking to some of the old timers under the inlet bridge. Have they got some stories to tell...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.