Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about renting an oceanfront place at Sandbridge in Sept. I would like to just be able to go right out in front of where I rent and fish. Is there a difference in the fishing in the northern part of the beach from the area around the pier? Which would be better? I see there are places to rent all along the beach.Any recommendations would be appreciated. I had one rented last year but it was for the week after the hurricane and I never made it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cottage rental

In september I would rent oceanfront in northern Rodanthe. It's worth the extra drive for us. We have a family cottage there and in the fall the fishing is very good. If you can wait till October it is even better. Early in the year we often rent places closer to the south beaches,or even on O.I..We live in V.A. beach and the only fishing I bother with here that time of year is spanish off of the piers...and that is slow..The spot and sea mullet fishing can be good.As far as sandbridge I have better luck near the pier,or even south of it.You will catch all the small stuff you want.Don't get me wrong people do catch a few drum and cobia there.....but the key word is FEW.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ah yes, the key word is few. why is that? maybe because there is a few people fishing.

W

·
0 Posts
My friend, If I was to rent a place there this time of year, It would have to be walking distance from "the first" public beach area - right by the restaurant and groc. store (near the fire station) because on that public beach there's a convenient slough very much within reach to a surfcaster. Next to that spot, but equal in convenience and possibilities would be "as close as I could get to the pier.."
That pier is "the only structure providing a holding area and the resulting sandbar along its entire length", between Rudy Inlet to the north and Oregon Inlet to the south - quite a distance, perhaps 80 miles or so in total.
I'd try frozen menhaden chunks on a 5/0 hook, and any number of "metal", the stamped stainless lures heavy enough for a long cast without overloading your rods tip weight, and reel em back "
" ever so slowly". Good Luck. Its beautifl in winter there. Been appreciating the sandbridge solitude in the cold months since I was a teenage surfcaster in the fifties

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sweet music to my ears. The SB fishing areas report ,that is.
Just bought a condo on the corner by the market, and plan to fish the crap out of that area when we go down in the offseason.
I finally did something right, and bought in a good location.
Like they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good".
I just hope I can find that slough at the public beach on my own!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Wayne...I think ya picked a pretty nice time to come down.Weathers great,the tourons have packed it in and the feeshn should be breakin out...hope you enjoy your trip.Stay tuned to this board and those two offered up locations should serve you well....the R

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
my parents have a cottage down there and I have fished there since I was 4-5 yrs old. theres plenty of action on small stuff during september. blues are a good bet. and there is always a chance at getting a drum/cobia/big blue etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts