Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I arrived at the beach at 7:03AM and set up my gear for some bottom fishing with fresh mullet and fresh frozen Spot Heads. There were a few birds working the surf to my left and right. I took out my glasses and observed they were feeding on small baitfish maybe sand eels. I diden't see anything breaking the surface and most importantly no big birds feeding anywhere. After 3 hours of standing in the cold with no hits not even a crab I packed it in.

The Menhaden Fleet was about 2-1/2 miles out depleting all the food that brings the game fish into shore for us Surf Fishermen. That was a major bummer to see, but that's what capitalism is all about.

In any event it's always good to fill ones lungs with fresh salt air straight off the ocean.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
That's the most frustrating thing in the world to stand in the surf and watch those factory ships vacuum up every bunker in the school.

The stripers aren't disappearing because too many are being caught. They're disappearing because THEY'RE STARVING TO DEATH!

Maybe if the CCA was more interested in actual fisheries than in building boat ramps, this problem would have been halted years ago.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hey BB I was contemplating hitting Sandbridge this morning but didn't make it. Good to see someone out there who posts after fishing (good report or bad). Where were you, north by the market or south by Little Island? Sandflea, don't worry Bud all the reports and rebuttals from the "Commies" that I've seen say that they always leave enough behind to keep a "sustainable fishery" for next year. Must be the schools that they don't find and suck the bottom outta.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was fishing Sandbridge a couple weeks ago and happened to arrive in the morning just as a couple commercial guys were pulling their boat out----right on the Little Island beach south of the pier. In their wake they left probably 40+ small sharks and the same number of skates dead on the beach. The birds were having a field day. Hard to imagine what a decent size boat could do to the fish population. I certainly don't begrudge anyone being able to make a living, but it is sights like this that do unrepairable damge to this profession. I did stop and pick up a 6" dead black drum that i used for bait. Had one bite all morning and caught a nice puppy drum about 20". Made 2 for the year, but nothing like last year. Guess I should thank those 2 fellas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts