Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board, and just bought a condo at Sandbridge. I'll be down on friday to pick out colors with the builders, and want to try the surf in the afternoon. I've never fished Sandbridge, but have fished the OBX surf for many years. Do you typically catch the same types of fish at Sandbridge as you do on the northern beaches of the OBX?
I thought I would throw the waders in the car and maybe try slinging some metal along the beach there for a few quick hours . I don't really have the time to get in to cut bait fishing since the Mrs will be along. Any advice as to where along the beach of Sandbridge to try?
Also, am I screwed trying to get back over to Hampton to spend the night there with an old college buddy? I hear the traffic can be a challenge.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Welcome to the Board. As the new home owner in Sandbridge, you are required to host a VT Football/Fishing/BBQ party and invite all the P&S'ers. :D J/K. Did you all get one of the new condos going in at the Market?

If you've fished the N. Beaches of OBX (Duck, Corolla, Carova, etc), then SB is the same stretch of beach.

Bring your same metals/plugs you'd use in OBX. Try the Market then drive down south along Sandfiddler Rd (closest road that parallels the beach) and keep an eye out for birds. Keep following this until this road merges into Sandpiper and continue south until you get to the park (Little Island Pier). Cast the pier structure and take a hike in the refuge if you have time.

To get back to Hampton, take 664 and the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel rather than 64 and the HRBT.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Welcome Vt...I hope that stands for tech, but I guess it could be Vermont......c2hg's advice is accurate.You might soak some mullett or bunker but if short for time ,lookin for workin gulls makes sense.Moniter - Merrimac safest bet too .I guess its a little short notice but the Va - Tech game would probably be a good start for a P&S BBQ at your condo......the R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sandbridge fishing

I guess if you just bought a condo at Sandbridge you must be at the end of Sandbridge Rd. at that new condo. The best fishing I have had there is across the street from those new condos. Try squid or cut bait. You will catch the same things as the OBX. I fish there all of the time. I am headed to OBX Sunday for a week. I'll probably see you at Sandbridge sometime. I look just like Jerry Garcia and my name is Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the advice guys!
I did buy one of those condos at the end of Sandbridge road, and I look forward to many years of fishing the surf there.
And yes, I am a diehard season ticket Hokie fan, so some weekends in the fall will find me in Blacksburg and not in the surf, at least until my kids there have graduated.
We live in NoVa now, but hope to sell out someday and move to Sandbridge permanently.
A VT P&S BBQ is a distinct possibility for the future, but they need to finish construction first. Should we warn the Mrs?
And Va Gent, I'll look for you there fishing. I'm the guy that looks like Ben Stein. Can Sandbridge handle Jerry Garcia and Ben Stein fishing there at the same time?
Thanks again,
Tim
VT surfman

·
Registered
5 Posts
To Vt.Surfman

I live down the street from your new condo. I use to live in No. Va. in Alex and will be up in Manassas for Christmas. I love it down here. I have lived here for the past 15 years. I think the area can handle a Ben and Jerry!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey VT ... My sons and I were down in Rodanthe fishing the pier in August, and there was a guy also fishing that looked like Ben Stein. Was that you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, that wasn't me. I didn't get south of oregon inlet this past summer. Don't tell me there are 3 Ben Steins around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts