Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the forecast for this past weekend and figured the conditions were just right for the Drum, so I headed down to Virginia Beach from DC.
I caught my bait in no time over by the marine science museum. 5 Spot in half an hour. I was set to begin what I came for.
Got to Sandbridge around 9 PM. NNE winds at around 15 - 20 mph.
Of course the pier was a mess so I couldn't get my 8 oz sinker + spot head out as far as I would have liked. I stayed till 2 am without cathing a thing. Oh well, I tried. If LIP was open, it probably would have been one of those nights that we all dream about.
I hope they rebuild it, or better yet extend it, so I don't have to head all the way to OBX to catch a drum.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I can't believe you didn't have any luck at night on a NE wind. Near perfect conditions. Oh well...sometimes luck's with you and sometimes it isn't.

Yeah, it's easier off the end of the pier but you can catch big reds there inside the bar. I got one last year, and Salty got one a few miles south into the refuge from the beach so I know they're there.

Either the run has already happened and we missed it, or it hasn't really geared up yet. Given that the spot are still being caught in good numbers way up the bay and the reds usually follow the spot, I wager that there are still big bulls around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey sand flea,

I was pretty surprised as well. Maybe I would have had better luck if I stuck it out a little longer. It had been raining all night and with the strong winds, I loss my will to sit out there.
I think you're right about the bulls still being around, although I have heard reports of several being caught at the point almost every day.
I think i'll give va beach another try if we get another NE wind on a weekend soon. if not, it looks like i'll have to make a longer trip to catch a red. fish on

1 - 3 of 3 Posts