Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I use my sand spikes, the tip curls up, making it difficult to get the spike set properly. I've been trimming off the curled tips off with a sharp knife, but then they don't go in as well then, either. Should I give up on store-bought sand spikes, and just make them myself out of PVC pipe ?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I had the same problem with the store brands so I now use the PVC tubes and I have no problems

·
Registered
24 Posts
defenitaly dont buy store made sand spikes, cause bluntly, THEY SUCK!!! i bought 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch thick pvc pipe and just at the end cut it diagonal and made a point. they've stayed in every single ground that ive stuck them in and they were cheap and easy to use. ;)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
yeah same here store bought ones haven't worked very well so i did the same as castedaway. just put a screw through it so your rod doesn't go all the way down to the reel. keeps the poles higher off the waves.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I took 2"PVC, cut it in 2' lengths and bolted on a piece of 2 1/2' angle iron. I got the iron from an old bed frame I found in the trash. It sets in earth or sand easily and stays where I put it. You can cut a slot in the PVC to set in a spinning reel. Use a file and sandpaper to smooth the edges. If ya look long enough, you'll find the PVC in the trash too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you loud and clear, Casted-Away ! They DO suck ! And from now on, I'm gonna cut my own sand spikes, they can "KMA" !

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Advisor. I use the 2 to 2.5 inch pvc. A lot of it can be picked up around any construction site. I also use alum channel from a local suppliers scrape pieces and make up the sand spikes. The alum channel makes them go in easy and stay put. I use about 3 feet of channel with a foot of it mounted up the pvc. Cheap, easy to make with basic hand tools, and better quality than the store bought junk.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Keep in mind - If you plan on fishing the surf, they should be AT LEAST 4' tall (or taller). This keeps your line from hitting the breaking waves. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts