Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used 1 1/2” pvc conduit to hold my rods. I’m looking to go lighter when I can’t drive on the beach. I am looking to build aluminum angle iron stakes with either pvc or aluminum tubing rod holders. I only get to surf fish once a year or so, so I don’t want equipment surprises or malfunctions.
My questions:
1- Does the vee in the angle point to the water or land? My guess is the water but have seen the other on YouTube.
2- How far will they go into the sand? I’m not fishing for sharks or whales.
3- Will they go in without a hammer? I hate carrying that big ball peen.
4- Would you recommend the horizontal foot peg?
5- What size aluminum angle and what thickness?
6- Will 48” total length gitter done?

Thanks in advance for responses, answers, and opinions.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You can buy a Fish-n-mate sand spike for around $33 shipped that meets your criteria. Just like pvc it will go into the sand wiggling it back and forth no hammer required. Honestly it is just as easy if not easier to carry pvc. I fashioned a strap ninja style to carry the aluminum sand spike since it doesn’t fit in a five gallon bucket.

·
Administrator
767 Posts
Tull - I used 1/8" thick by 1-1/4" aluminum angle "about" 6 feet long. Affixed a piece of PVC pipe to hold the rod butt and a simple "cradle" to hold the top of the rod. The back side of the angle (the "V") faces the ocean. Hope this helps.
The reason it was 6ft long is that where I fished, the sand was really soft. And a 14' rod in heavy surf (or a Big Red) could pull it right over if it is not deep enough in the sand. Of course, it can be modified and designed to fit your specific needs.
Sky Cloud Street light Gas Cylinder

Sky Gas Plant Pole Public utility

Sky Blue Azure Gas Pole

Water Sky Beach Cloud Wood

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I use PVC pipe on the "light" rods that target smaller fishies but use robust, long, deep digging 1/8" alum angle and alum pipe when hunting bigger game in the surf.

Door Wheel Water Gas Font

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Redheaded Guy showed me this method = 18" total length PVC sand spike.

You work it in back and forth like a normal PVC sand Spike

Pull it out and shuck the sand inside the spike, My favorite part.

Put it back in the hole and then stomp on it. It will go in about 6 inches or so, if it does not, stomp on it again.

Stomping works best with Wader boots or shoes.

If you are a Beach person and your feet are tough, stomp away barefoot, just don't miss and cut your self.

Works great for large Critters, they have no leverage like on some spike 6 feet up in the air, the spike is in deep, like sledge hammer deep.

Lighter than metal and easier to carry in a bucket than normal three foot sand spikes, plus you can extend your lug wrench leverage with it when you get a flat tire, out in the Boonies somewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Redheaded Guy showed me this method = 18" total length PVC sand spike.

You work it in back and forth like a normal PVC sand Spike

Pull it out and shuck the sand inside the spike, My favorite part.

Put it back in the hole and then stomp on it. It will go in about 6 inches or so, if it does not, stomp on it again.

Stomping works best with Wader boots or shoes.

If you are a Beach person and your feet are tough, stomp away barefoot, just don't miss and cut your self.

Works great for large Critters, they have no leverage like on some spike 6 feet up in the air, the spike is in deep, like sledge hammer deep.

Lighter than metal and easier to carry in a bucket than normal three foot sand spikes, plus you can extend your lug wrench leverage with it when you get a flat tire, out in the Boonies somewhere.
I like the 18" idea. I'm gathering gear myself to start surf fishing with my 6 year old on our annual trip to Nags Head. The smaller the spikes the better!! Only so much room in the car during a family vacation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Either or both. Using a small PVC spike means constant surveillance at the least.
Thanks!! This will be for 2 light(ish) setups for a 6 year old fishing the wash (Penn Pursuit IV 4000 w/7' M rods). I'll have a third setup that'll get further out, but nothing like chucking 8 n bait a mile out. Just trying to find something that'll travel relatively easy, yet be sturdy enough for what we are going.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I've seen too many instances of surfcasters targeting fluke or weaks or kings or etc etc with PVC spikes only to get hooked into a brown or dusky shark and then they wished they used a better rod spike. "Targeting" specific fishies can backfire too easily.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I pretty much only fish for Drum on the OBX. I am not spiking for sea mullet or Pompano.

I am using a 13 foot heaver usually sometimes a bit longer and sometimes a bit shorter.

When you stomp down the 18" sand spike the top of the spike is only sticking up about 8 or so inches above the sand after you stomp it so it has 10 or more inches buried in the sand. You stomp the spike and then Stomp the sand all around it to pack it in.

I use conventional reels and set the drag rather light with the clicker on. It is what one does when fishing for Drum.

I have had all kinds of large and extra large critters hit my baits and I have never had a rod get pulled over, or stripped out of the spike when it is stomped down. That is why you check your drag.

Why would I risk a $700 Drum rod to something that does not work? Or even risk getting my reel all sanded up?

What difference does it make what the spike is made out of if you are fishing 20 pound line with a light 2-3 pound drag setting?

You could hook your truck to my cannonball rig to my setup and even if you managed to strip off all the line off the line would probably break at the reel arbor and still not pull the rod out of the spike on 2-3 pound drag.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a few of Chris Barton's Over The Waves sand spikes-- might be overkill for what you're describing, but very nice spikes. Welded aluminum and nicely finished (thanks Chris!)

O'Shaugh
I own a few of those...great spikes...indestructible and will probably last a really long time...pretty easy to get deep in the sand and create good leverage.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I like what Garbo said (with some minor exceptions). I use the aluminum angle irons about 6’ long, as thick as I can get, and cut a niche near the top on the angled side. I place the pvc on it at the top and lock it in place using a metal hose clamp. Cheap and easy. Never had a problem, ever. For added security you can drill a hole thru both and drive a bolt and nut to secure further.

I’ll trim the bottom of the iron into a sharp V. This will go into the sand easily and you can then rock it back and forth to seat it nice and deep in the sand. Never had one pull out or tip over. Also, the sharp V can serve as a deterrent against annoying googans. 😂

The added length also helps to raise your rod tip and line over the breakers in some cases. A plus. A very important step - ALWAYS set your drag nice and light And your clicker on if you have one. It’s surf fishing, you never know what will hit your bait.

Also, NEVER hammer your regular sand spike into the sand. Just like shining your light on the water at night when drum fishing, spooks the fish. JMHO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts