Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out a "sand pump" for putting in rod spikes over the weekend can truly say one of the best $20.00 purchases I have made . With just a couple of strokes of the handle I create a hole about 3" in diameter 2' or so down to throw a rod spike in. Bought it from Ron Sutton's tackle shop near Jackson Ga. If there is interest I will look up his phone number , he also has a web site.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm always interested in equipment of any kind.

Please post any additional info that you have.

I've been using a 3 pound rubber mallet for many years, with very good results. But something that's lighter or easier to carry, would be of interest.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have never had problems with the tried and true rocking the spike back and forth method. Sinks like a champ and have never had one fall over. Now when both my shoulders decide to quit, well that's a different story.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Like shoeless I use th rocking method, but out of curiosity do ya have a pic of this thing?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
whether by rocking, pumping, or pounding

It really shouldn't matter which method is used. The main point is that it gets in deep enough. And fits snuggly. There's nothing worse than premature slippage. I'd suggest staying with what works best for you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Picture but

Sorry I dont have a picture the pump is about 3' long of plastic pipe with a piston inside of plastic pipe where wet sand is drawn up. I was told these were developed to catch ghost shrimp in Texas but are being used for installing rod spikes. Sure saved me a lot of trouble . This sand in Georgia is not easy to rock a spike back and forth . I built most of my spikes from plastic conduit about 2 1/2" ID probably half of the problem. I had been using a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts