Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty basic question that I hope someone can resolve for me. I’ve read the pompano report and see that sand fleas are excellent bait. Never used them before (new to saltwater/surf fishing), but I also read that they leave large welts on the legs. If used for fishing, will they leave welts on hands? Is there a certain way to handle them to avoid this? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Sand flea is a name shared across the globe with other species. Look up mole crabs which are one and the same with what's referred to in the US east and gulf coasts as sand fleas. They are just clawless crabs. They don't bite or pinch. Worst they can do is make the kids scream because they're gross looking. Maybe if someone had a severe shellfish allergy handling them could cause a reaction but that's about the only way you could get hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sand fleas are harmless and make great bait for multiple species. Vacationed many years at OBX and didn't have much success during the summer lull until discovering what great bait sand fleas are. Work for pompano along with sheepshead, croaker, pinfish, red drum, flounder and just about any other saltwater species. I also do believe I caught a few specks with them in the surf. Can be fished with hook and sinker or on a small buck-tail/flounder type jig or rig. Only problem is they come of the hook or get nibbled away quite easily, take more than you think you need.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The sand fleas you are referring to that leave welts are biting gnats also known as No See-ums. Parris Island is famous for them. as many Marines can attest to. As mentioned above mole crabs are what you are after.
:ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts