Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that the current crew of P&S members are a hardy bunch. I am curious to know how many folks here would enjoy having live chat amongst us.
I know what you may be thinking about that suggestion.........that it didn't work so well before. I do have a vague memory of chat being enabled when I first joined up. Not much interest as I recall.
However, with the successes of the past "P&S get togethers"..........things have changed. Friendships have been formed. It ain't just about posting and reading anymore. It's a bit more personal to some now. My gut feeling is...........it'll work.
I for one would like the opportunity to have "true time" chat with some of the folks here. Maybe as before.........having a certain time of evening set aside for chat sessions. The "send a PM and twiddle the thumbs til a response comes thru" is getting a bit old.
What say ya? Think it might be worth giving consideration to? Possibly a trial run?

Anyone else wanna give their views on this matter?

Thanks flea!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I pushed for this a few months ago. At first I thought it was a good idea but now realize that it's probably better if we didn't have a live chat room. First of all it would probably slow the site down greatly. Second of all if you wanted to talk to someone, there are plenty of places you can do it. AOL, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo, along with others, all have instant messaging and you can create chat rooms for anyone to enter. It's great and it won't interfere with P&S. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think it would be a good idea but like previously mentioned it would probally slow the site down a bunch. Ive been on here for several months and I think of most of the P&S regulars as a family and would like to be able to talk live with people. So Im all for it

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yeah if you wanna chat to somebody, just send a pm for their AIM screenname

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Real time chat

involving fishing is what I am referring to. An opportunity for all...... with or without AIM, aol, yahoo, etc...... to group chat. Whether it be about recent posts, upcoming events, or what not............it would definitely be centered primarily around the topics and issues that are the norm within P&S.

Guess I should start working on my concession speech, huh?:rolleyes:

Hope yall didn't forget that coconut pie is my favorite.;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Or, maybe set aside one night during a certain time frame, see who shows up and wants to chat? Maybe then, it won't slow everything down, and maybe it would help.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
My 2 cents

There is already alot of "chat" on th board. Myself included so I aint pointing fingers. Would a "seperate" chat forum be good? I don't know,th first fishing chat room I visited was so confusing I never went back.:eek: Me, I got cell an home #'s of th people I chat with th most an think thats th way I will go. JMHO.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Cdog-I agree the cell phone is deffinitely the best device to "chat" on especially if there is a monster blitz @ Pea Island this weekend.

See ya down south,this weekend!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: I agree with Anthony

Drumdum said:
Can't type or spell that fast anyway..... :rolleyes: :D
I've been playing around with Voice Recognition Software for about a year now.

It's getting better all the time.

It's fast and spells very well, but I still have to proofread everything.

Apparently, it was designed by a [email protected] Yankee.

Yew know they jus cain't tawk right.

D

·
0 Posts
im satisfied with the site right now. i think if you need to talk to someone you could get their number. but on the other hand it might be a good idea. i dont know, as long as it didnt slow the site down.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I had the same problem as well. You can go to internet options under tools and set the security to high. Too late now but a great way to stop pop up ads if you don't have a pop up blocker.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Every idea is worth considering. My personal
opinion is that the chat on the board right
now is about 95% of all posts. Without those
there would hardly be anything to read at all.
Piernandsurf has been at least 50% chat
50% "reports" at the best of times. The chat
is what brings most people back. My post tend
to be 95% "reports" since there are a lot of
people out there who just like to start
trouble and get people riled up.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I could give it a crack and see what happens. It shouldn't slow things down.

Now those snowflakes...they actually didn't slow the server down. The javascript I used actually used your computer's cpu cycles to draw the flakes, which means that if you have an older computer it would have been slowed down.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Talapia said:
Every idea is worth considering. My personal
opinion is that the chat on the board right
now is about 95% of all posts. Without those
there would hardly be anything to read at all.

That would also be my opinion... utilizing the chat would IMO take knowledge from the boards.

·
Registered
270 Posts
On my site-- very similar to this site, but different subject matter-- we've experimented pretty extensively with open chat rooms. Basically, we've found two things-- nobody uses them after the first week, and during that first week the fact that the chat room is up cuts down significantly on the information being exchanged in the forums.

The only thing we use the chat rooms for now is if we have a guest from another site, the media, or from MLB or the Minors who is makign a special appearance. Hosted "event" chats liek that are fun and get a lot of users without diminishing the amount of info on the boards at all.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I love that idea. Live chat sessions with
Charter Capt's and other experts would
be a great! We could learn a great deal.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The written word!

I favor the message board, because the thoughts last. I have learned a great deal from this board over the last three months. If everything that I have read were exchanged in a chat room where would I be? There's no history in a chat room.

The message board affords us new guys a chance to follow you veterans and learn. A chance to see if we fit or not. We can slink around the boards and observe without interfearing. I haven't surf fished seriously for seven years, but because of this Board I have put together a lot of really good equipment and I'm excited about this spring and fishing. I can get on the forums randomly, at my convenience. If you guys are in the chat rooms I'll miss most of what you offer because I can't always access the forum from work or when I'm traveling. Sometime, hopefully, we newbees will pass along what you guys have shared with other newbees.

I read a thread recently on this site that criticised the new guys because all we did was ask stupid questions and we didn't offer any fishing reports. I guess I have to ask where did you start and how many stupid questions did you ask. I never ask for anyone's honey holes or even times or tides. I'm from SNJ why would I know what IRI is? I know because in my last life I ran to the canyons from CapeMay and if I needed gas thats where I went.
AI, Delaware or Virginia, how would I know? Thanks to you guys I know both are an alternative and that I need an annual pass.

We all have something to offer and every year the newbees become veterans the following season and if we're worth a [email protected] we'll contribute good reports.

Again, however you decide to go don't let the chatrooms compete with the boards.

There are chat rooms at Stripersonline how do they do?

My $2.00
KM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts