Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is no section for the west coast I put it here. I might end up in San Diego this summer for a week. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the fishing out there. I'm wanting to hit a pier or two while I'm out there. Total tourist fishing trip. Looking for info on good piers that I can rent gear at.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't have much luck on the piers but did from the surf at Torrey Pines, caught a Corbina (which was like a big hard-fighting whiting, one of the target species) and a few perch on a bottom rig using an 8' rod I carried on the plane and a hotel trash can fillled with sand as a rod holder. All the guys out in the surf with the waders and lure or fly rigs turned around and looked at me like I was crazy but I noticed I was the only one catching anything. Do make sure you have your day-permit if you do this, I got challenged twice by rangers in the space of three hours.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I lived in SD for almost 4 years. Used to fish the Ocean Beach pier every Saturday morning for bonito and barracudas. All you need is a light rod and a 1 oz metalic jig - preferably long and slender and silver. A floating or diving Rapala works great too. Cast out and retrieve.

One specialty rig - The Bonito Splasher - is a great long distance casting setup enabling anyone to get good distance for bonito or barracudas. You'l need a cast-a-bubble (float that you fill with water), a swivel, and a large white saltwater bucktail. Fill the bubble halfway with water and slide it on your line. Next tie on a swivel. To the swivel tie a 4' length of mono or flurocarbon - then tie on your bucktail. The idea is to cast out as far as you can and move the rod to make the bubble/bucktail sweep. The fish hear the noise and come up and eat the bucktail. It works great!

Other species on the pier was leopard sharks, sandbass, and the occasional tuna.

Have fun.

Sandcrab

·
Registered
486 Posts
I fished for a week at shelter island that one time when I was on Christmas vacation. The pier at shelter island is pretty good and at that time it was pretty hot into the 80s for winter. Got a nasty sun burn on my arm for that trip lol. Anyways didn't catch a thing using squid and shrimp but small bat rays are a common catch. The best place to go fishing in San Diego is the crystal pier the only downside is parking which is a pain to find unless you book a stay at one of the rooms on the pier.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Since there is no section for the west coast I put it here. I might end up in San Diego this summer for a week. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the fishing out there. I'm wanting to hit a pier or two while I'm out there. Total tourist fishing trip. Looking for info on good piers that I can rent gear at.
Consider doing a half-day trip out of H&m Landing, Fisherman's Landing, or Point Loma Landing. For under $50, you go out half a day and virtually guaranteed to catch something. The common something will be calico bass, bonito, barracuda, rockfish (assortment of bottom fish), and by really good luck....... a yellowtail, lingcod, or halibut.

From my experience with vacation fishing, it is far easier just let the experts put you on the fish than to take your own rod/reel and try to figure out what works/doesn't.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Consider doing a half-day trip out of H&m Landing, Fisherman's Landing, or Point Loma Landing. For under $50, you go out half a day and virtually guaranteed to catch something. The common something will be calico bass, bonito, barracuda, rockfish (assortment of bottom fish), and by really good luck....... a yellowtail, lingcod, or halibut.

From my experience with vacation fishing, it is far easier just let the experts put you on the fish than to take your own rod/reel and try to figure out what works/doesn't.
Charter boats are a hit and miss. One of my charter boat trips we spent 2 hours on the boat not fishing. Just cruising to the fishing spot then when we got to the spot the only 5 guys caught fish. Then the captain spent the next 5 hours moving around almost every 30 minutes he move to the next spot. We still caught 10 fish that day but lame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts