Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted a thread earlier this week asking about saltwater rod/reel combos and how to get a cheaper but still good quality one. And after a few replies to my thread, I realized that it is true what they say, "you can't get something for nothing" and you will have to "pay to play". So, knowing that I will have to "pony up" at least $160 to $200 for a somewhat decent saltwater rod/reel combo, and keep in mind that I live in the Central Florida area, and I usually do a lot of pier and surf fishing on the East Coast(Ormond Beach, New Smyrna Beach, Ponce Inlet area) as well as some on the West Coast(St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach area) and I end-up catching small reds, saltwater sail catfish, Sheepshead, mangrove snapper and shark(small ones). Therefore, I was wondering, is it possible to buy "used" saltwater reels and then just go online and research replacement bearings, rings, seals, etc in order to refurbish them and then use them to fish with? Has anyone any experience doing this, if so, is it worth it, and what brands are easier to find parts for? Any advice guys?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes.

Penn is easy to find parts. Even for reel 60 years old.
Seigler has a lifetime guarantee. Avet will refurbish for around $40. Haven't had to deal with shimano personally and have heard mixed things about there service department. Joe Moore at One more cast has superb customer service on akios.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.

Penn is easy to find parts. Even for reel 60 years old.
Seigler has a lifetime guarantee. Avet will refurbish for around $40. Haven't had to deal with shimano personally and have heard mixed things about there service department. Joe Moore at One more cast has superb customer service on akios.
Thank you so much, I kinda figure PENN was going to be the more "popular" reel to be able to get parts for!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll echo the above comment on Penn reels. I've bought several off of eBay (Squidder 140, Jigmaster 500, some of the GTi320s), and have had good luck refurbishing them for use. Even magged the Jigmast for casting, which was fairly simple. You can usually find some aftermarket parts for some models as well if you want to "upgrade" (Newell bars, etc)

If you read the descriptions carefully and good decent looking reels, the internals are usually in decent shape as well. On most all I've ever had to refurb were bearings and drag washers, and maybe a screw or 2 that got kind of janky - but as mentioned, most Penn parts are easy to find. The Squidder 140 has actually become a favorite of mine to use for the surf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't overlook Daiwa. Their old Black Gold line was tough as nails, and was only recently discontinued, so parts are still available. In my experience you'll only need drag washers and bearings, anyway.
The Daiwa SS Tournament series is tough too, and has been in production since like 1987. Again plenty of parts availability, though you won't need many as long as you aren't dunking in saltwater.
If my old SS Tournaments ever quit, I will probably replace with the new BG series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts