·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Check the BOGUE INLET PIER site he has a piece about the issue you asking about

·
Registered
41 Posts
NC recreational saltwater Fishing Licence

Evening, I've not verified whether or not Fishing Pier and Commerical Day trip customers as well having to obtain the new proposed licence. I pray not. The burden is already to much for the economy's of the working class for fun and relaxation anglers.
Think about the effects on the economys of the City and Towns along the NC coast when the week-end angling warrior begins not being able to just go fishing with their family and friends.
If it is true you can bet that Hurricane Floyd effects were a scratch
on the surface compared to the outcome of poorly reasoned Legislation. Please educate yourselves.
I have persoanlly supported the benefits on the resource from a conservation angle and the uses of a properly designed Act, Similar to South Carolinas "Marine resource act of "2000". It as well established sound reasoning for having a Saltwater Recreational Licence . The intended purpose was funding a poorly supported Department of Natural Resources and their attempt to rebuild resources to a substainable level and Guarateeing a Future resource for Future generations Of recreational angler. It seems now that every Local DNR office in the States coastal regions are being closed.Why?That angle is proper. Punishing Recreational anglers in light of the Commerical stripping of the resources is'nt. Education is the best tool you can have in the Tackle Box. We better be on our Toes..Dave

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like its moot!

They made two changes in comittee that will prolly get it killed on th floor.
1. They are sending the monies to the general fund.
2. They exempted shore bound fishermen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This poll, like nearly every poll that I've seen on the internet, has a HUGE BASIC FLAW!

It is worded like the old lawyer cliche that asks do you still beat your wife on Saturday nights?

The poll is so heavily loaded in favor of the proponents of the bill that it's totally useless. Yes I'm in favor of a saltwater license but NO I don't trust the politicians to run the program. I have seen politicians lie about every subject imaginable so why should I trust them on this issue. I ask you: whose interest are they representing by putting the money into the G.F.? The people who have supported the politicos up to this point made it clear that they were in favor of a RSWFL ONLY if the revenue was used exclusively for the benefit of the resource. The plan hasn't even gone into effect yet and the politicians have already started double crossing us.

A person would have to be blind or worse if they can't see the deception that has already started and the law isn't even in effect yet.

WE ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM IN PLACE TO DO EVERYTHING THAT THE RSWFL PROPOSES TO DO! THE MARINE FISHERIES/DNR IS ROTTEN WITH INNEFFICIENCIES SO INSTEAD OF REPAIRING WHAT"S ALREADY IN PLACE, WE START OUT AGAIN AT YARD ONE ON THE TAXPAYERS DIME!

I would love to see a RSWFL if there were any chance whatsoever that it could be ran fairly and efficiently. Past performance of the players indicates that it wont be. The way that the RSWFL is being handled right now indicates the same thing.

Anyone that buys into the whole data gathering explanation as to why we need a license deserves everything that we all are about to get! The whole concept is bordering very closely to being absolutely stupid. The mystery to me is that otherwise intelligent people are buying into it .

Frog

·
Registered
41 Posts
CRFL

Evening, wanting to be Politically correct we must assume using the Recreational License's proper name . The Coastal Recreational Fishing License. NC State House Bill #831 and or NC Senate Version #684. Describes in detail the beginning ground upon which the Final compromised Bill will be designed and then signed By the Governor.
The Senate version allows for Fishing Pier and Headboat " Blanket Licensing" Thus allowing those enities to purchase a License under which their customers can fish with-out buying an Individual License. Hey it's only going to cost me an additional $4000.00 yearly. Thats right $4.00 per lineal Ft. Remember we already pay for a State License that allows us to sell our anglers a Fishing pass it's called a "Ocean Pier License". I'd take a version of that over the House version. "Throat Constricting".............over a hard pill to swallow!
Remember I'm a Recreational Pier Manager.
The House refused to add that admendment but did exclude, Shorebased Surf anglers......Hey I'm one of those ......
In fact Both Versions exclude Anglers fishing from Public Bridges and Docks.......Hey thats me too! Oh Well while I'm explaining to the week-end warrior that his fishing is going to Cost him XXX more dollars I can Simply relax knowing that as my Income is reduced as Business Drops off that I'll have all the extra time I need to go
Fishing somewhere other than the Pier I manage. After all I'd be afraid to face someone angered after driving 6ooo miles to fish on the Pier I've been Advertizing all over the Southeast then finds out that a daily fishing pass Cost xxxx dollars instead of what he's/she's budgeted for Fishing , beer , and snacks. Heck I be mad too if I had to call back home to have the wife/husband Western Union more $$$$.
She'll/he'll swear that I/someone was a keeping up some old Coastal sea Hag/ Rouge. Hey, now I know what to do with the empty pier parking lot! I'll wholesale the anglers trucks and cars so they can raise cash enough to get home on. Or it's possible we do as the cat fish farms do and simply weigh your daily catch and charge anglers $1.oo per lb of fish caught. I know "catch and release" fishing would increase in popularity....Thus an instant restocking program. Hmmmmmmmm! Brainstorm ... I Dave XYZ do Solemly swear to faithfully uphold the duties and ethical standards of the office of the......Updates to follow..Dave

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It seems that people are looking at this license in the wrong way. Don't think of it as another tax on fishermen, think of it as a way for us (recreational fishermen) to get our voices heard by the politicians. Politicians listen to two things, money and public opinion. Since the mojortiy of North Carolinians don't care about the ocean, that leaves the money that commercial fishermen put into government to control the laws. Why do you think commercial fishermen and the politicians who represent them are so against this bill? Because they know a Recreational Saltwater Fishing License would pump millions of dollars into the governemnt and they would lose all their power. We would then have more of a say in managing our resources. As long as it is done right, then I see a license as a good thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
License

Fellas,

Did I notice a criminal background check just to get a saltwater license? Looking for Federal crimes...hmmm. Also a $5.00 admin fee for a lost license renewal. The staff is paid for an 8 hr day. Why the extra charge? Just like when I was active duty military, I got paid whether or not I did anything...interesting. Frog has some good points. Sounds like DNR needs an overhaul. The recreational and commercial fsherman have had numerous issues for some time now. When scientists instead of politicians are listened to concerning marine fisheries issues altogether, then I will listen. When politicians are involved I remember... and I vote.

Macman

·
Registered
472 Posts
Earth to Fishermen, Earth to Fishermen...........

Do you actually believe that paying another tax, (license) is going to suddenly give you a voice in fisheries management?

Has anyone asked how YOU would like the highways patroled? Or maintained? (You do have a drivers license and tags on your car, right?)

How about the taxes levied on alcohol, sporting goods, tobacco, gasoline, tires and yes, even dog food, over and above the "sales" tax.

Anybody seeking YOUR input on how those funds are administered?

Governments impose taxes, for exactly the same reason that a school yard bully steals your lunch money.

Because they CAN.

When YOU stand up to the bully, and say NO, that's when things begin to change.

It's been stated elsewhere, that politicians are swayed by money and public opinion.

That's not entirely true.

Politicians are routinely manipulated by small, vocal, special interest groups.

Less than 3% of the population is gay, but politicians are scared of offending gays.

Less than 1% of the population is Muslim, but the US Post Office just issued a stamp honoring that culture.

You ALL know the line. It goes. . . .

"I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE."

That's what influences our "public servants."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts