Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to pick up my birthday present.

I had pretty much made up my mind on a 525 mag. However, when I went to pick it up (Atlanta BPS) they did not have one. The guy at the counter suggested I look at the 30H. First time I held one. Feels good. Seems smooth. Good looking reel. Now I need help.

I would appreciate some positives and negatives on each reel. Would really love to hear from folks that have used both. If you had your choice, which one would you take?

Looking for a good balance between distance and power.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
They are both good reels.

Keep in mind the 525mag is the same size as a 20H. They are both 17lb class reels. The 30H is a 20lb class.

I feel the 20H and the 525mag cast about the same, maybe a slight edge to the Penn. However, I'd pick up the 20H before the Penn any day of the week. It's just what I prefer.

I own two 525mags, two 20Hs and two 30Hs. My favorite reel to fish with out of the three is the 20H. It casts great and fights a fish very well. The 525mags I own are a lot more fragile and prone to breaking down when a little sand and/or water gets on them. They don't get much use any more, and I wouldn't buy another one.

I do like the 30H for cobia due to it's line capacity, but I prefer to cast its little brother.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
its like the issue of newells 220 or 229 .
id take the newell over the penn though..
but would take a 20h or 30h before all that too.

if you want a 30h comparison, you need to look at the penn 535 instead.
which is ALOT stronger and durable then a 525.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I aint sure what dream world ya'll fish in but the Penn drag kicks @$$... none better out of the box then the ht100... it holds 275 yards of 15# test, 240 yards of 17# tritanium plus... carries 6 ball bearings plus an IAR bearing all well shielded... the 525 Mag rules... the diawa sha, shv 20 or 30 wishes it could even come close to the Penn in castability or durability... if ya'll are getting all that salt and sand in your reels ya need to take a serious look at what you're doing out there...

Penn an American icon for more then 50 years... :cool:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am trying to think where the 525 rules I just have not seen that. I think the saltist 30 is a better reel, cast better ,holds more line and hey it looks better too.:D

9rock

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saltish 20 is a great reel. Great drag and easy to cast. Diawa SHA or SHV is like a tank on the beach. Sand/water and they keep on working. We have seen a lot of citation drum caught on these Diawa reels without a failure. Drag very, very smooth. Both are good reels, but very experienced friends that have surf fished for many years have all stopped using Penn and are now fishing Diawa. I own 2 saltist 20's, 4 sha and shv 20's, 5 sha and shv 30's and one sha 40 and never had a problem. Diawa makes a great reel for a good price.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Like them both

I use my 525's when I'm fishing hard and not spiking the rods to wander off throwing my spinner for fluke, trout, spanish. I can cast the Penn better. The Saltist is sweet too and has a heck of a nice clicker when I am spiking the rods. Then there's my Abu's, tricked out by Bills Reels. They are my favorites for getting the bait out there. Just got another one this winter. Fully tricked out, including the new fishing Benfield side plate. That'll be the 1st one used in 2 weeks. Starting to count the days now. May 9th can't come soon enough!

Anyhow, if this is your 1st conventional go with the Penn. Easy to use and after the 1st day you'll be fine. Not made in China! Once upon a time they were made right down the street from where I grew up in Philly.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Saltish 20 is a great reel. Great drag and easy to cast. Diawa SHA or SHV is like a tank on the beach. Sand/water and they keep on working. We have seen a lot of citation drum caught on these Diawa reels without a failure. Drag very, very smooth. Both are good reels, but very experienced friends that have surf fished for many years have all stopped using Penn and are now fishing Diawa. I own 2 saltist 20's, 4 sha and shv 20's, 5 sha and shv 30's and one sha 40 and never had a problem. Diawa makes a great reel for a good price.
Ever own or cast a 525?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I aint sure what dream world ya'll fish in but the Penn drag kicks @$$... none better out of the box then the ht100... it holds 275 yards of 15# test, 240 yards of 17# tritanium plus... carries 6 ball bearings plus an IAR bearing all well shielded... the 525 Mag rules... the diawa sha, shv 20 or 30 wishes it could even come close to the Penn in castability or durability... if ya'll are getting all that salt and sand in your reels ya need to take a serious look at what you're doing out there...

So what kind of crack are you smoking today?????

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, but several good fishing buddies have owned a 525 and all now fish with some type of Diawa. As I said, both are good reels. Never figured I needed one because the Diawa reels do everthing I expect from a reel. I have several good friends that have fished the beaches of Hatteras for 20 to 30 years. They all use Diawa reels, so about 6 or 7 years ago, when I started fishing Hatteras, I figured Diawa was the way to go. I have never been sorry. I am sure the Penn 525 is a fine reel, just never had a good reason to own one. If I were not sure which reel to buy, I would find someone that owned each and cast each if possible. I do like the saltist reels better that either the sha or shv due to the placement of the handle. I am a Diawa man and a Ford man , just like some might be a Penn and Chevy man. All great products. Test drive each reel before you purchase is the best advise.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a Diawa 30H that I choose over the 525mag because of the heavier line capacity. So far it's been an excellent reel. It easily whipped the pants off of a 30" striper I hooked into two weeks ago. I brought that fish from 70yrds out to the seawall in under 3 mins. Poor fish didn't know what hit her and when I put her back in the water she was still fresh as a daisy.
On the other hand any fish smaller on that reel would be boring to catch. I guess you just have to figure out what your target species is and make your choice based on that

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

now ive got nothing against the 525, good reel good drag, will definately outcast the daiwa 20s or 30s..mag system great in the surf, not affected by water like the daiwas brake system.had a few, sold em or traded em all off

but if ya aint gettin sand and salt in the reels you arent fishing same way we are...if you can keep your reel dry waist deep on a sand bar 60 yards from shore(or more) with waves crashing on you...wading chestdeep maybe to get there...sand flies around, its gets inplaces...i lay my daiwas in the sand it dont matter..wash the sand off with a dunking in the big blue....ever use your rod as a pushpole? gotta do what ya gotta do...daiwas sha/shv/slosh(cant speak for saltist but id imagine its same)take the sand n salt better than the 525. period.

and nothing better than ht100? avet, accurate, shoot theres nothin wrong with the felt shv/sha/slosh drags...not saying their better,prolly arent, but no way in hell theres a big enough difference in performance to matter when drum/cobia/striper fishing,

after that being said, to answer origional question..cant go wrong with a saltist 20 or a 525..even a 30 is a good reel and can cast fine...youll be happy with either, both have their good points, and both catch fish. be a ho, buy em both

·
Registered
159 Posts
If it's a line capacity issue like for cobia, etc. then the Saltist 30 is the way to go but as far as casting, catching 50# drum, any striper I've seen in 35 yrs. then I'd go for casting distance. I can throw my 525 and 20h farther. I like the drag better on the 20h--each to his own preference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Love the Saltists (have the 20 and 30), but they can't cast as far as the Penn out of the box. It needs to be dialed in by adjusting how much braking you need either by the centrifugal brakes or do what I did - I put a small rare earth magnet in it. It casts GREAT now. With that said, it's a MUCH smoother reel than the Penn and it's a lot nicer to look at.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.