Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Some great info. I just ordered a Saltist 30H. Not sure about the size of the reel. No one around here has them in stock. I fish Abu 6500's normally but was looking into getting something with more line capacity. Should I have gone with the 20H? I would love to see apicture of the 20H and the 30H side by side or beside a Abu 6500 for a visual reference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rolo

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
use the search engine on this site and play around with the key words and you will find the pictures your looking for as I remember them being posted last year sometime. Welcome and enjoy this site as there is alot of good info on here just remember to use the search engine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rolo any particular reason you are getting a reel with more line capacity? I have a Mag 525 and was thinking about getting a 6500 blue yonder. Have you had a bad experience or just want more just in case?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No real need for extra line capacity. I just wanted to try it out and maybe get into some larger fish as well. Small sharks would be fun. I have read good things about the Saltist and just wanted to give it a try. I have fished mostly Shimano's in fresh and Abu in salt. I still love my Abu's and have no plans of getting rid of them. I don't own a blue yonder but they will sling.

Thanks again,
Rolo

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thnx Rolo, My dad has a torium 14 and a saltist not sure which one, either 20 or 30, but he could throw the torium much better right out of the box. With the saltist had it for a month and still tweaking with it, but then again were not on the beach everyday to tweak with it or in a field. Hear alot more about to saltist than the toriums

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a saltist 30 I bought from red drum in the obx I was told by them its the best reel straight out of the box bullet proff according to them . they told me he had a choice of any reel there and he fishes with one . the next day at the point he walks right up beside me and sure enough there it was so he was not giving me the bs.
side note. bob at red drum has had problems with the abus especially with the 6500 mag
spools bend under big load cobia for instance.

9 rock

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
bob at red drum has had problems with the abus especially with the 6500 mag
9 rock
I have to diagree with that. Good people there but they are in business to make money. Many a big fish have been pulled to the beach with a 6500-7500 reel.

·
Registered
862 Posts
bob at red drum has had problems with the abus especially with the 6500 mag
Well than he must have been using steel cable for line, or 200lb braid. It would take some very strong line and a lot of force to bend the spool. I have landed many large drum and cobia on Abus. I even hooked a porpoise once on a 6500 mag elite and had him on for about 5-10min before he came unhooked. The reel was fine after that, it did have carbontex washers in it.

John

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well than he must have been using steel cable for line, or 200lb braid. It would take some very strong line and a lot of force to bend the spool. I have landed many large drum and cobia on Abus. I even hooked a porpoise once on a 6500 mag elite and had him on for about 5-10min before he came unhooked. The reel was fine after that, it did have carbontex washers in it.

John
that question would be better suited for him I am just the messenger I do know also that at Hatteras jacks he also told me not to buy the 6500 ct mag
although they love the bigger ones blue yonder and such .I also dont know if this is become a problem since they now out source their reels
but I do know other than old stock the red drum wont even sell them
he did tell me when the spool bends it is very difficult to see and is only detected by a little less casting distance . IMHO Avet or pro gear is superior in every aspect but almost impossible to throw its so fast. they want 175 for a magged side plate on Ebay .that's why I bought the saltist . and I was not disappointed . abus definitely have a big following but that gap is closing every day the 525 mag also is now very popular .but from what I understand they must be maintained and cleaned and oiled regularly .
I am not knowledgeable to argue with the guys at red drum but I am sure there are some who would disagree either way you go .
but for my dollar cant go wrong with a saltist

9 rock

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Blue Yonder and the 6500CT Mag are the same reel other than the mag.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Blue Yonder and the 6500CT Mag are the same reel other than the mag.
that may be true dont know at Hatteras jacks no mention of the spool bend just something about the outer ring what ever that is I dont know. and I was looking for a magged reel out of the box he said dont buy the 6500ct mag
that's it no more no less and red drum says dont buy any of them .

for further info that #252-995-5414 red drum

252-987-2428 Hatteras Jack

as I said I dont know enough either way I was just looking for something slower than my AVET and I got it
hell when I first started fishing the obx the penn squidder was the only reel to throw with a heaver now you dont ever see one

9 rock

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
hell when I first started fishing the obx the penn squidder was the only reel to throw with a heaver now you dont ever see one
9 rock

whatchu talken about Willis?... I got a pristine squidder on a 10' glass heaver I built in 1971... it'll see the point on our New Years trip... :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
hardly is what I should have said I did see a old heaver with a abu the tip was the size of my pinky
I just saw a squidder here on the market place magged
I told him I would take it. its a 140 squiddedr.that makes two in one day what are the odds of seeing two on the beach at the same time. what do you guys go down new years I was thinking that also being it is a long weekend some strippers have shown up
but nothing to brag about yet or the last few years for that matter

9 rock

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
what do you guys go down new years I was thinking that also being it is a long weekend some strippers have shown up
but nothing to brag about yet or the last few years for that matter 9 rock
strippers are not normally found at that time of year, but we do snag a one or 2 occasionally... :D

there's a bunch of us that congregate at the point every year for the New Years Bash... we get there about the 27th and hang out drinking barley pop and hooking up with big biters... we even get into a striper once in a great while up at Oregan inlet... :cool: if you're interested in joining us PM Gilly21 and work out the details with him... :fishing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be buying a saltist this weekend. I am leaning towards the 30H. Is there any reason I should go with the 20H instead?

AirDown
I was wondering what type of rod you use for snagging strippers? How long and what kind of action? Should your rod have a stiff or soft tip? Is there a best time during the day to snag a stripper? Thanks from a newby.

A couple years ago Odens Dock’s fishing report stated the big strippers had finally shown up. I was so disappointed when I got there that day. I believe AirDown and Rockfish know what they are talking about. Beware of other fisherman bragging about snagging strippers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
New here. Some great info. I just ordered a Saltist 30H. Not sure about the size of the reel. No one around here has them in stock. I fish Abu 6500's normally but was looking into getting something with more line capacity. Should I have gone with the 20H? I would love to see apicture of the 20H and the 30H side by side or beside a Abu 6500 for a visual reference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rolo
Rolo, I too am on the fence on whether the 20TH or the 30TH? Other than the line capacity there is about 7 0zs. difference in weight! I like fishing with light tackle. Guess there is a trade-off. Loose approx. 90 yds of line for a lighter reel? 210yds.using #20(20TH) or 300yds using#20(30TH).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with the STT30H. I am going to pair it with an All Star Breakaway LDFC119-2XH. I received the a reel from BPS but it had a nick in the spool so I returned it. I am still waiting on the back order replacement. The 30H was wide but no more than an ABU 7000 and the small side plates and the way the reel seat sits low made it feel a little smaller than a 6500. I think it is going to be a good fit for the rod I have in mind. I have read good things about these reels and I like the feel of the reel. I will let you know how things work out if I ever get the replacement reel. It is supposed to be in some time in January.

Rolo

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went with the STT30H. I am going to pair it with an All Star Breakaway LDFC119-2XH. I received the a reel from BPS but it had a nick in the spool so I returned it. I am still waiting on the back order replacement. The 30H was wide but no more than an ABU 7000 and the small side plates and the way the reel seat sits low made it feel a little smaller than a 6500. I think it is going to be a good fit for the rod I have in mind. I have read good things about these reels and I like the feel of the reel. I will let you know how things work out if I ever get the replacement reel. It is supposed to be in some time in January.

Rolo
Rolo; Interesting... I like the sound of it sitting low & feeling smaller than a 6500. That info just convinced me to go with the 30TH. Super! Keep us informed how all works out. Good Luck & many thanks for the post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts