Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the post in the bible but couldn't post my question there ........

I have a BUNCH of bait left over from this weekend and would like to salt it rather then freeze it or throw it out. Particularly some very nice spot and some previously frozen bunker. I typically lean away from frozen, thawing and refreezing.

How would I go about salting cut bait sections? Cut as normal and just layer in salt?

How long would it take to be cured so to speak? Could I start the process and take some out this coming weekend to use should the fishing Gods allow me the oppertunity? Would that be counter productive? I just don't want to keep the fresh bait in the fridge for the course of the week and don't want to refreeze it and then thaw it again (gets soggy).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. Didn't see anything in regards to cut bait. Just saw strips, squid, shrimp and whole fish. I ASSUME cut bait would be handled the same but there is an old saying about assumptions .........

Figured a question would easily resolve my curiosity.

Also, the bible didn't mention anything about using SOME of the cut bait only a week after starting the process (ie - is there any point, etc).

If I overlooked it - my apologies.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've started salting fingermullet and cutbait. Just throw it in a tupperware containter with some non-iodized salt and put in fridge.

You fish with it anytime during the process.

Curing time depends on how thick the pieces are.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I bought 5 lbs of heads on Shrimp at Blackburn Brothers in Carolina beach for $3.95 a lb two weeks ago and I salted the heads and froze the bodies for eating latter and that worked out great. :D:D

I use ice cream rock salt on anything I can fish with no problems, including cut bait

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
One important point for consideration is that the bait that is intended to be salted and frozen should be salted and frozen at the earliest opportunity, preferably as fresh as it can be right out of the water. Salting and freezing bait that's been sitting in a cooler does nothing to improve the quality of the bait. Previously frozen and thawed bunker will end up as mush regardless of what you do with it at this point. Short of making a Franken-bunker and bringing it back to life, it is already past its prime as bait. The spot, if still very fresh (shiny scales, clear eyes, bright red gills, firm flesh) and whole can be salted and frozen with the results being fairly decent. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts